Science Fair Project

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I was waiting for that info just posted.

My question how much ice cap melt needs to happen in order for a salinity change to happen? (that will negatively effect ocean life)

and my guess is that it will take way to long if there theory is right and animals will adapt.

Also, I was thinking about using a couple different types of corals in each tank (i.e. xeniz in each one, sps in each one [same type] and so on

does that sound like a bad idea?

I think multiple corals of different kinds is a bad idea. You could be introducing chemical warfare between corals, which could cause one of the corals to not thrive - but not have anything to do with salinity. One coral per tank would be my suggestion.

Aside from the whole debate on global warming, I think you're going to be hard pressed to see results in just 4 months with any coral. Seems like they take a few months just to get used to a new tank. Sounds like an interesting project, but just not sure if your time frame is long enough. Got a backup plan?

Id also be willing do donate 3 frags of yellow polyp's or green star.

I would do the project with different lighting just to make it less complicated instead of salinity. But if i had 3 tanks and was doing salinity, i would make them like 1.021 / 1.024 / 1.027 Just to show noticeable difference if all other parameters were the same.

I would get xenia like mentioned. You can get a compact flourescent light fixture as these will thive under those. That would be all you would need. I wouldnt do any other coral as it would effect your study in ways unforseen. ie. chemical warfare that is so small we dont notice but happens in tanks.

edit plus xenia is cheap/

How careful are you going to be in dealing with evaporation? It does not take much to really throw off your salinity. I would second the suggestion of making the lighting be the variable in your experiment.

I think Returnofsid has an excellent point about the adaptability of corals. When subjected to swift changes in parameters, many of the more fragile species expire, although the apx. 20 species in my tank are tough enough to deal with near-instant .2-.3 point salinity fluctuations, and fluctuations between 2.3 and 2.6 on a longer time scale(they objected strongly to 2.7 though, but I received a Kenya tree frag once that was growing happily in water that tested so high it was off my salinity meter...)

If you want something that will be seriously affected by your test, I think you need delicate SPS ;->

If you haven't thought of it already, I'd suggest pre-bagged live sand for the tanks. IMO even cured wet live rock would be too hard to control the equality of. Perhaps dry live rock would work?

I read the most interesting study the other day of clownfish babies raised in acidified water, maybe you could try acidifying the water?

If you don't plan to keep it for more experiments, I would love to have your set-up when you are done. I'm a 1st-3rd grade teacher, and I'd love to set it up in my classroom and let the kids design experiments galore and publish the results on a class web page :) I have two saltwater tanks at school right now - a little one for 'touching' and a larger mixed reef for looking. The kids absolutely love it, I love it, and it doesn't stink like small mammals, birds and rodents do ;)

Back