Scratched my tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slickdonkey

Drink me
Ok, so I $&*&'ed up my tank by trying to use the Rainbow Lifeguard acrylic scratch remover. The area I tried to buff out is pretty scratched up now, way worse than before, and the acrylic looks distorted. I would shoot myself but I'm sure I could hire a professional worst case to polish the thing, so that's unnecessary at this point.

Does anyone have any tips on this? It's no longer just a single scratch but a whole rectangular area that looks like complete crap.

I used Novus #2 but that's not going to cut it now. I'll pick up some #3 on Monday and see if that helps.

Bummer Brian...:doubt: Never tried to remove a scratch...Yet (knock on wood) but maybe you can check with the other Brian (IAPBrian) Best of luck:)

Was that scratch there before? I didnt notice one or was this newly acquired?
I have a few that I dont know how to take care of. I have actually thought of just buying a new tank.

No, just happened today. The scratch is pretty much gone now but in its place are 10,000 microscratches. Whatever you do, don't do what I did!

Yeah, the Novus stuff works really well. Slick has already used #2 to polish it but maybe #3 would get it out a little more so. I actually need to buy some #3 to get out a scratch I added to my tank last week. :)

SlickDonkey,
Brian at IAP will be doing a Talk at this on the 19th at Shark Reef.
I used some 3m Buffing polish with my tank and my pro grade buffer.
If the tank is empty it works pretty well.

Thanks Ed. Actually the scratch was on the outside. I'm so glad I didn't use the scratch remover on the inside, even though it says you can.

I will try some Novus #3 next week. Barring that, I'll call a professional.

Ok, Now here is a plan. If I can get up early on the 19th. You meet me somewhere and take me to your house for about 15 minutes to fix this. I have the stuff. Then Josh and I can go to premeeting, then Shark Reef?
Shauna, I have been carrying your glue around for a while, lol.
Slick, call me at home or pm with your phone number if you think this will work.
Let me know...
Ed

That's a kind offer Ed, thanks. I am going to try some Novus #3 this week and see if that helps out. If not maybe I'll take you up on that offer.

Too bad, looks like I'm on diaper duty all day on the 19th and won't make the meeting.

Slickdonkey said:
Does anyone have any tips on this?

Yeah Buy Glass!

Acrylic is Crap, and over rated. Like you said the weight doesn't mean a thing once you have it in place.

Your problem is the number one reason why i will never ever ever buy an acrylic tank!

Wish i could help you but i can't

Sorry man!

Last edited:
shallowreef said:
Yeah Buy Glass!

Acrylic is Crap, and over rated. Like you said the weight doesn't mean a thing once you have it in place.

Your problem is the number one reason why i will never ever ever buy an acrylic tank!

Wish i could help you but i can't

Sorry man!

honestly, how does this help him out? and why even bother posting stuff like this? *sigh*

Your Call Slick?

:) Slick,
I am heading to meet people in Silverdale at 12. That means I will probably pick up Josh or Ilham early. The question is how far are you from Seattle or North Bend Area? I understand the Diaper Detail, lol. But if you would like me to visit early and its not really far away from planned drive.
I could load up my buffer, two pads, and 2 polishes, rags. It would take me about 5 minutes to do if its a front or area that is easily accessible.
I have some Rowa PHos for Matt, and Glue for Shauna too. Those guys just need to meet me somewhere.:)

Sounds like a busy morning Ed. I'm a good 40 minutes from the Bremerton ferry terminal downtown, and that's if there's no traffic. North Bend, not sure, but I'd guess at least 50 minutes.

I got some Novus #3 tonight and will try it out.

Hope you get it out slick. You may have to do some sanding with 1800 grit or 2500 grit first if they are deep but it seems like they aren't that bad so a good polish may do the trick.

Back