screw ID, and a lighting safty question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineTeng

Reef Padawan
i need an id on this screw, here's a picture of the top and bottom, i can't get it out, sounds like i'll have to drill it out
reflectorscrewtop.jpg

reflectorscrew.jpg

would using paper clips to hold the socket to the reflector be a bad idea for any reason, i'm going to use the thickest ones i can find if this is a good idea, it's only going to go through two of the screw holes where two of the screws shown above are not attached to the reflector, i've tried for a while to get them in but to no avail, i can't really even move them at all

Drill it out.. It's a pop Rivet.. You only need to drill the head off. Push it out the back side with a punch if it doesn't fall out on it's own..

well, that could be the problem i've been having, should i use a new pop rivet or should i go with the paperclip idea

Ideally another pop rivet would be the best. Simply either grind the top of the rivet head off or use a sharp chisel to knock it off and then a thin punch to knock the remainder of the rivet out.

Another alternative that would probably be easier (since most people don't have a rivet gun in their house) would be to just got a small bolt and nut and secure it that way. Or possibly a small sheetmetal screw that would self-tap.

I recommend making sure the nut and bolt are stainless steel to ensure no rusting. I have seen too many "galvanized" srews, bolts, and nuts rust in a high moisture environment that is a saltwater aquarium.

Back