Scrubber

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

pandora32

Well i decided to build an algae scrubber. Interested to see what happens. I have no problems growing algae in the display, but i want to see if i can grow it elsewhere to get it OUT of my display. Ill be using a mag 3 pump and some 1" pvc pipe. The final measurement for the screen will be 8 1/4" wide x 14" tall. Hope thats big enough. I havent figured out the lighting for it yet. I have a small cheap clamp light and a little twin tube T5 fixture. Thinking i may get another clamp light. Just dont have much room for them. Dont know. Ill figure it out. Input?

Finished my scrubber. Its LOUD and i cant get the entire screen covered. Im using a mag 3 and 1" pvc. Oh well...lol. Maybe i will tinker with it some more some time, maybe not...lol.

Dont know why its so grainy. I know the bottom of the screen needs to be shortened so it doesnt go in the water so far, but i had it in a tank so the pump and all the plumbing and screen could get a vinegar bath. Was planning to cut it down once i have it in my sump. Bubbles wouldnt bother me so much, but the only place i can put this thing is in the return section. Maybe if i put a piece of sponge at tje bottom of the screen?

Attachments

• 2013-03-10_20-19-53_603.jpg
    2013-03-10_20-19-53_603.jpg
    25.4 KB
  • 2013-03-10_23-54-43_585.jpg
    2013-03-10_23-54-43_585.jpg
    42.5 KB
  • 2013-03-11_00-28-39_26.jpg
    2013-03-11_00-28-39_26.jpg
    40.7 KB
Really nice:) I would let the bottom of screen touch the water it will cause less splash and noise. Installing a sponge across bottom may work well too as i have never seen that done?

Isnt it suppose to be covered in algae?? LOL
Maybe if you shine some light on it? LOL

Seriously. Arent you worried that algae will fluff off the screen and get sucked into the return pump and dust your DT with small, small clippings?

Isnt it suppose to be covered in algae?? LOL
Maybe if you shine some light on it? LOL

Seriously. Arent you worried that algae will fluff off the screen and get sucked into the return pump and dust your DT with small, small clippings?

SMART@#$...lol.
Would work 100% better with some growth on it. As for light, not sure what im goin to do there.
Also, what i was thinking with the sponge on the bottom, whatever does come off should be caught in the sponge. Also, what happens to get by, my tangs will gobble up.The sponge should also help keep the bubbles from getting down to my return pump and should help with the noise issue. Lotta shoulds in there. I should also build a splash guard of some sort...lol

I am planning to cut the screen. I have it sitting in a 15g "test" tank that has vinegar water in it. The depth is different than in my actual sump, so i dont want to cut it untill its installed in the sump itself.

I understand that small things like this can be easily adjusted once it is installed. It is not like you have hundreds of dollars invested in something and dont want to mod it in fear of voiding the warranty.
Although Spinner is going to suggest that some primary color is more pleasing to the eye. Something that will go with a deep turf green. LOL

Dont have anything invested. Got bored and went through the fish stuff i have and came up with everything i needed...lol. As for paint, i thought bout that. Was thinking a shiny black and throw in some large red metalflake!! What ya think spinner?...lol. I havent even looked at it today to be honest. I glance at it, think about it for a sec, then nothing...lol. Thinking i might take the pump and put it on my UV.
What i really need is a better stand, or a seperate area for my "filtering stuff" like another room or my wife giving me the go ahead for a display fuge.

Last edited:
Well, found out just how important the slot really is. Ground out the first slot, was a lil sloppy. Pumped water up and though it. It just came crashing out of the first couple inches. So, i done up another one, much better job with the width. Now it has a nice flow out of it! So i glued it all up today. Tomorrow ill try and get it in the sump. Got a better light and some plexi for a splash shield around the mesh. Got an $8 clamp light with the metal dome for a reflector. Pretty dang bright! As for the plexi splash shield, got a couple questions. Is it possible to paint plexi? And also how well will aquarium silicone hold the shield together? There will be no pressure on it and the only wetness it will ever see is from the occasional stray water droplet, which will just run down and back into the sump.
All in all, i have $38 tied up in this. $10/sheet of plexi, got 3 cuz ill probably mess it up or something, and $8 for the light.

Last edited:
Be careful the heat from the light dont melt or warp the plexi. silicone adhesive,( not caulking ) will most likely hold the plexi on.
You can get RVT 100 series silicone at Grainger or Napa Auto Parts.

I know a guy who could make you a stand to fit all this stuff in. LOL

Better yet. Just "tell" the wife your going thur the wall into the master closet for a fish room????

You know a guy huh?...lol. Is he a welder too? Thinking an open steel stand. As for the closet, she aint the problem so much as the landlords of the house may not be to happy. Not to mention there is no closet around the tank...lol.
Just "tell" the wife huh?...lol. I "tell" you what. Ill invite you and your wife over for dinner. And while we are all chatting, i will let you "tell" her...lmao!

Last edited:
i love the smell of steel in the morning. what made u go with this style of algae scrubber? Ive seen all sorts of them but nothing quite like yours i like it! do u inject air or solely rely on the waterfall action? looking good man! now i have another design to consider for all 3 of my tanks. keep it up! cheers

Thanks. Its solely water. I guess its a waterfall in the reef system...lol. I read and reread the post here in the diy forum. Its right under this one.

I am not into painting anymore the peer preasure has become to much:) I have started sanding all my painted things back to ZOMBIE white...lol

Back