Scyphozoan Polyps. Are they a problem?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

menace78

I just noticed 2 hydroids in my tank today and found pictures of them on the net, but for the life of me I can't figure out if there a problem?
One of them is a Scyphozoan, but i can't seem to find anything on the other.
There is hundreds of them all over the upper 3/4 of my tank on the rock.
I attatched the 2 pictures I foundThe 1st one is the unknown the second one's the Scyphozoan.

I know they become a jellyfish, but are they bad?
If so what do i do to get rid of them?

Rid yourself of them now if you can they become a pest and can multiply very fast. Don't wait.
Any clue on the best way to get rid of them?
I'm not going to scrub the rocks and I don't like chemicals.
Is there anything that eats them?

I've been doing a search and most suggest scrubbing them off , smothering them with kalk taste. When it comes to something eating them i read one instance of a copperband eating them but the person wrote he never so him eating them but they all disappeared after a while so he figure it was the copperband.
Some also said pick them off with tweezers.
Control them now before they are not of control

so what do they do to ur tank do they become free living or do they sting corals??

so what do they do to ur tank do they become free living or do they sting corals??

From what I have read, They are moon jellyfish and I don't think I'll worry about them..
Saw one detached from the rock and attached to the tank glass as a tiny jellyfish, then one of my snails came by and ate it :p

As for picking them off with tweezers. to the naked eye there only a speck of white dust.. lol
Now that I have watched them for a few days.. seems like the snails keep grazing them off the rocks and they keep coming back later.

I'll just let them be for now and post anything that I see about them if they do anything ells..

ty for the replies.
Casey

Back