Sea Hare for Algae control

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

macronut

Has anyone used a Sea Hare for algae control. Just curious. I've been thinking about it, but afraid of potential toxin released if frightened. Been searching the web about them, they very unique creatures.

Has anyone used a Sea Hare for algae control. Just curious. I've been thinking about it, but afraid of potential toxin released if frightened. Been searching the web about them, they very unique creatures.

I use to have two with one dead(3 wks old) after it was stuck by my vortech pump. I was lucky to discover it just after a day. They release blue stuff (not sure what was that). They grow very fast and will die if deprived with algae. I'm not sure what is the damages but you need to monitor them to prevent nutrients spike if they die. (i'll be taking my seahare out soon becuase it is really too big now 4-5" after 4 mths :D.)

They are never threaten at all with all my reefsafe fishes, crabs, etc. ("don't think" they will release toxic as well if they are alive)

Last edited:
Great job doing it

Hi macro nut I have sea hare's and have had very good long term care with them I have never seen any of them give off a toxic release and they usually get quite accustom to you tank in a very short time I have mine in a dsb tank and they will mainly came out when the lights are off but not always they quickly learn to eat Norri if you put it on the glass with a holder this allows you to keep them long term. As they will clean a tank up quickly of any algae Mine even get along fine with my pistol shrimps so pretty tank friendly and they do get ignored but the rest of the tank inhabinets...Jeff

Thanks so much for both postings. It has been helpful. I do plan on going ahead and purchasing one to help irradicate my macro. Once it is gone I can take it to a mariculture facilty where they have plenty of algae for it to dine on. So it won't starve. Thanks again.

I've had a brown sea hare that has been cleaning my tank for a while. I just got a blue spotted one for my downstairs tank. What a wild looking slug! As soon as I put him in my tank, he started muching down on the weeds.

underbody and head shot:
MR-DSC_0222.jpg

Top shot of body:
MR-DSC_0233.jpg

I've had a brown sea hare that has been cleaning my tank for a while. I just got a blue spotted one for my downstairs tank. What a wild looking slug! As soon as I put him in my tank, he started muching down on the weeds.

underbody and head shot:
MR-DSC_0222.jpg

Top shot of body:
MR-DSC_0233.jpg

Wow! That thing is amazing! What was it sold to you as? Generic sea hare? Unknown?

I bought mine from an LFS in Lansing, Michigan (Preuss Pets). It is some kind of Aplysia sp.

Back