sea hare vs Blenny for GHA

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

A sea hare will do a better job in the short term. They are algae muching machines. Long term though it may starve and as others have said some can nuke your sysetm. On the other hand the blenny will eventually eat all your algae but can be fed after your outbreak is over. Plus you have a fish with a huge personality.

I would personaly go with the blenny :)

TJL, good to know. I didn't realize there was such a difference in they types of sea hares. Thank you for the knowlage

Update: 5.20.13 I did go w/ a Lawn Mower Blenny and have to say these guys are a crack up. They are in the catagory of "so ugly they're cute". :) I've named mine "chomper" because he/she chomps on everything. He/she reminds me of a cow munching down on pasture...chomp, chomp, chomp. I like testing my co-workers with "find the Blenny" game. They usually can't.

Though Chomper has been working deligently w/ the GHA, I came across a Sea Hare at Denny's and picked him/her up as well, since Chomper doesn't quite do a good job on the sides of the tank. I lucked out and got a "common" SH as Todd suggested and this guy is amazing. Within 24 hours the sides of my tank are gleaming. He still has a lot more to do, but I am very happy with what he/she has done. When I move to my bigger tank, I will probably have to LOAN him/her out to someone until I can take him/her back. :rockon:

Back