sea moss

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mark peacock

marine67
About six or so months ago i increased my wattage on my reef from 476 to 876 watts and since then i have noticed a lot of alge so i got a sea hare to get rid of the hair alge and has done a really good job but will not eat the sea moss (bryopsis plumosa or chlorodesmis fastigiata ) so i am thinking of going back to 476 watts or would you surgest anything else to eat the moss
tank size is 5ft by 2 by 2 its been up and running for nearly 5 years

mark

What are your parameters? Most everyone here is going to agree that for algae to bloom you need more than just light. Nitrates could be feeding the algae. Excess algae can give you false readings as well.

my phosphate are bit high but just a bit nitrate is low but i did do a full water change and run new phosphate remover a week ago so hoping that it will but it un der control

There is your problem more so than the lighting, it has food. I would do more water changes until it is where it needs to be. I personally think that light does have quite a bit to do with algae. Algae is photosynthetic just like any other plant.

Also, did you acclimate the tank to the wattage increase or just cut it on one day?

Last edited:
Bryopsis at first is a nutrient issue. Once it takes hold no matter what you will have a hard if not impossible time getting rid of it. Escalating the Mg. Level with Kent Tech-M to well above 1500 will disrupt photosyntheses. This works most of the time.

ANR

Bryopsis at first is a nutrient issue. Once it takes hold no matter what you will have a hard if not impossible time getting rid of it. Escalating the Mg. Level with Kent Tech-M to well above 1500 will disrupt photosyntheses. This works most of the time.

ANR

Back