Seachem Prime and tap water instead of ro/di?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Personally I dont dose anything, and don't have a reactor of any sort attached to my tank. My 90 runs essentially on a skimmer and regular water changes, and when I think about it I change the carbon in the bag hanging in my sump... I do like the idea of just using water out of the faucet, and I must admit that It has been rather convenient over the last month. I certainly do not have an issue topping off every once in a while with it. The only thing I don't like about ro systems is the amount of waste water. On the plus side in the summer I hAve a lot of plants that need water.

Alright, R/O system ordered... I went with a BRS build your own. I did a 5 micron sediment, 5 micron carbon block (ct0/2), and a 1 micron carbon block, with a 75gpd R/O membrane. I did add a pressure guage, flush kit, and a garden hose adapter.

How long have you been reefing? What is in your tank? I know, disclaimers etc but I've seen more of the opposite of what your saying, also lots of people buys stuff and just don't have the experience for long term reef tanks.
I do agree big time, consistency is very important, that I can assure you!

Just over 3 years. The only variation to this was the first year or so I used NSW. Speaking of which the NSW experience was downright awesome.

For seawater, if you lived on the ocean could you use that water for water changes?? I'm talking a tropical island or something like that. That would be the ultimate in easy.

I don't know. To be honest when I was using NSW it was from a university's marine biology department and it was pumped from 2 to 5 miles out and deep. You don't want surface water due to pollutants that can collect on the surface...same with close to shore from what I understand.

it is actually a little surprising that more LFS's around here don't do that. I don't know of a single on in Portland that has NSW. But I can list 5 around my mom's house that do.

It's probably not to cost effective to sell. I know the petco near me sells it, but if I remember correctly it was like $7 per gallon or something insane like that.

Back