Seafood Mix

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

seagem

Lurker
What do you guys think about the seafood mix you can find at Asian grocery stores like HMart and Ranch 99? I would like to vary my lionfish's diet. This mix usually has octopus, mussels, shrimp, fake crabmeat, etc. I only have one carnivore fish and It would take a long time for her to consume one slice of whatever fish. I don't cook for myself otherwise she could just have a little bit of whatever I am having. There are also packages of sushi and sashimi slices at these grocery stores. Would you feed these to your fish?

I have come across different mixes. Some are okay. But the 'fake crab' is usually dosed with sugar/carbohydrates and isn't raw, but cooked. Not useful. All components must be raw.

If the mussels are from the sea, you're okay. Most mussels sold in grocery stores are freshwater. In the mixes, they are often cooked. Cooked and/or freshwater mussels are not desirable.

:)

How about the prepackaged sushi and sashimi slices, i.e. mackerel, tuna, salmon (too fatty?), etc. These are usually raw. Could I feed these to my lionfish?

Predatory fishes, like the Lionfish, do not eat fish fillets. They eat the whole organism. They need the whole fish/animal, not just the meaty portion. Feed your predatory fish with just fish flesh and it will die from lack of nourishment over a period of months. Like a slow starvation.

I have been using the seafood mix from the asian markets for years to mAke all
my fish food. I have never had issues. I also in the past have used smelt. This is just
my experience so yours might differ

Yeah, fishoutofwater - I bought ONE smelt from the Asian market and the cashier looked at me strangely. I told her it was for my fish and she giggled. It's been gutted and cleaned, though, and even though it was the smallest one I could find, it is about twice the mass of my little fuzzy dwarf. I wish the fozen silversides from the petstores were available in tiny sizes so I could just thaw one for each feeding. As it is, I just cut a piece off a silverside for my lion's feeding. She also gets the occasional guppies. The regular grocery stores have seafood mixes and I have fed the octopus and squid from this mix in the past. Soaked it first in some food enhancers.

Yeah, fishoutofwater - I bought ONE smelt from the Asian market and the cashier looked at me strangely. I told her it was for my fish and she giggled. It's been gutted and cleaned, though, and even though it was the smallest one I could find, it is about twice the mass of my little fuzzy dwarf. I wish the fozen silversides from the petstores were available in tiny sizes so I could just thaw one for each feeding. As it is, I just cut a piece off a silverside for my lion's feeding. She also gets the occasional guppies. The regular grocery stores have seafood mixes and I have fed the octopus and squid from this mix in the past. Soaked it first in some food enhancers.

my market asks me too and looks at me funny when i say I am feeding my fish. also check albertsons or top foods for smelt as they have it in from time to time. I used to order a 5lb brick of squid from albertsons for like 12 bucks. i used that to feed my lion and large spotted grouper.

I should have pointed this out before, but. . .It's a slow week. . .

You're searching for guidance on marine fish food. All you need to know is found here and I don't know if you've read it, or if you have, you may not have absorbed the info: Fish Health Through Proper Nutrition

Regarding using guppies, even occassionally:
NO!

Freshwater fish cause Lionfishes to develop a fat problem. The fats of freshwater fishes are not the same fats needed by marine fishes. These 'foreign' fats build up in the Lionfish's body until the fat obstructs the normal function of some of the fish's organs. The fats are not handled properly and don't 'go away.' I have performed necropsy on multiple fishes and could tell they were not being fed marine fish foods.

Please read that link. :D

Back