seagrass themed tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

andycook

Anthony;

I'm amiming for a seagrass themed tank. I'd like populate my tank, a 180, with fish and coral apprpriate seagrass regions. Am I right in thinking that brain corals and elegance are appropriate? Not sure what fish.

Thoughts?

-Andy

cheers, Andy

indeed... there are many possibilities for a seagrass tank. Very exciting to hear anyways.

First decide what region/ocean you are looking to replicate.

Atlantic with Thalassia and some upside down jellyfish or anemones?

If Pacific, which common isle/coast? Indo, Philippines, Fiji, etc?

INdeed... you are correct in thinking species like Trachyphyllia open brains, Elegance in some cases... free-living corals generally (Fungiids, some Goniopa... quite a few other "LPS" types). Do check out the index here on Reef Frontiers with those fab pics and descriptions of corals and their locales on the reef. I know that Mike O, et al. worked very hard to procure and present that database... please do use it my friend! :)

The info is sitting their for you to browse/view.

Lots of other reef creatures for a seagrass tank too... sea stars, Tube-mouth fishes, anemones, sponges, etc.

Just know that many/most wont all mix together. Pick your livestock carefully.

best of luck!

Anthony

I keep a lagoonal tank with seagrass and other sandbed plants (Udotea, Penicillus, Halimeda). Remember that these plants need relatively intense, broad spectra illumination, like EYE 6500K. They are not as photoadaptive as coral. So the coral you keep with them need to be able to adapt to the type of light that the seagrass demand, or be positioned to only recieve the light indirectly. The coral should be lagoonal, not need extreme flushing currents (that would blow your sandbed everywhere), and be able to reject fine sediment.

I assume that you are going to emulate something like a patch reef abuting a grass bed. IME Favia, Favites, and Hydnophora are ideal for this type setup. Montipora that I've tried have all done well. Tank-propagated varieties of Porites, Pocillopora, Stylophora, Seriatropora, and most staghorn Acropora that I've tried do well but need relatively strong and random currents. Cycloseris - and I'd assume most Fungids - do well but need to be in areas of weaker current and sometimes weaker illumination. Tube anemones are easy but eat up a large radius (about 6") of tank space. I had a Macrodactyla doorensis host anemone, it's a denison of the seagrass bed, but it has an enormous tentacle sweep so it will take up a lot of tank footprint. The main problem I had with a host anemone was that it's hosted clownfish pair fanned up quarts of sand every day. All that sediment was not compatable with my stony coral so I eventually got rid of it.

T. maxima and T. squamosa have uniformly done well for me wether attached or on the bed. T. derasa would be ideal for a sandbed, I guess, but that clam becomes too large for my tank.

None of the Trachyphilia, Lobophylia, and Cataphylia that I've seen pass through the LFS during the last 3 years are ideal for a shallow set-up. They appear collected from deep water. Before my time in this hobby, I think Elegance were collected from shallow water, but the ones I've seen have the type of cone described as typical of deep-water ones. I do keep a red Lobo, but it only expands well if located under a rock, out of the strong light. The flourescent red and green "open" brains are not typical of shallow water, from what I understand.

I'd recommend Florida Pets for seagrass (they carry thee types), mermaids fan (Udotea), and shaving brush (Penicilius). They rinse the substrate from the seagrass roots :cry: , but otherwise, IME sell a good product in decent shape. If you have Diadema or "tuxedo" urchins, ditch them, they'll reduce these plants to stubble overnight. You'll need a filthy, phosphate-rich DSB to support them, as they rely on the high nutrient level in the sandbed porewater to grow. On the other hand, the tank water needs to be lean enough to discourage the growth of filamentous algae which will choke them. IMO, regular additions of chelated iron helps most plants. Keep the carbonate alkalinity up to at least natural levels, I use limewater to bring in a balanced ratio of calcium when doing this. Other than that, I don't recommend any other additives. Articles on keeping seagrass in Aquaria are not common in the hobby. If you can get your hands on Adey's "Dynamic Aquaria", its has some applicable sections. I hope this was helpful, good luck.

great informative post Howard,

I also am looking into what type of biotope to setup my 150, am considering lagoonal. your post helps quite a bit.
any sites out there with shots of biotopic tanks? I'm looking for inspiration as it were, since my list of ideals and realistic additions are still too large. thanks.

Thanks Howard.

You read my mind and gave me a lot to digest.

At this point the tank has the sandbed (50% mucky from previously existing tanks), the rock, some seagrass and that is it, besides snails. It has been setup since Feb 2004 and I am still fiddling with the plumbing, lighting, and flow (fine line between too little and too much with a dsb). I am battling some filamentous algae but I expect to win out.

I've heard of Florida Pets. I used Bill's Reef for the seagrass I have now.

I did recently just get the Adey's book and am somewhere in the chapter about ocean temps.

Thanks again for your time.

Hi Dan;

Howard was helpful. I haven't found much information on this kind of biotope let alone pictures. Post links here if you do.

-Andy

Scott Michael's book, reef fishes, has some helpful info, in terms of the different zones of the reef, what fish and coral are found in each. but i will keep a lookin some more ;)

I’ll try to give some information sources on Seagrass communities. I’ll follow that with some pictures in my next post.

Smithsonian (Fort Pierce) Seagrass Habitat Page Be sure to follow the links to seagrass specie descriptions at the bottom of the page. Also has an extensive bibliography. Very good seagrass site.
Smithsonian (Fort Pierce) Mangrove Habitat Page

Some hobby-related print media with sections applicable to Seagrass communities:
Dynamic Aquaria, 2nd Ed. Adey & Loveland ISBN 0-12-043792-9
Marine Plants of the Caribbean. Littler, Littler, Bucher, and Norris. ISBN 0-87474-607-8
Reef Fishes Volume 1. Michael. ISBN 1-890087-45-9

For those people living in Puget Sound and want to make a field trip to Bremerton: I can sometimes offer Halimeda incrassata (easy, green, seagrass-associated calcerous algae) and Sargassum (lagoonal brown algae that grows floating or attached to rocks) macroalgae. My Udotea, Penicillus, Halodule and Syringodium cultivations are too new and fragile to give away. I will respond to PM’s only, please provide a eMail in your PM.

Great info folks...Howard great post!!!
I have seen a couple of really neat looking sea grass setups, they are very unique in many ways. Definitely perfect for a sand bed set up. Look into the up-side down jellies, that would be very cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

great info, thanks Howard. Mike, that would be cool, the cassiopea, but may not be safe with other fish and stuff. an idea to look into :)

Back