Seattle Aquarium Salt Water Sales Program and NSW?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

So let me start by saying I've read up on some other threads on here about the Seattle Aquarium and their Salt Water Sales Program and Natural Salt Water (NSW) but haven't seen any recent threads about it and so I thought it would be a good chance to post some of my thoughts and experiences with it.

First some back story:

About 10 years ago after moving to Seattle I set up my first real reef tank. My very first salt water tank was a funny story in itself but for another thread! Anyway my reef tank was 75 gallon tank with a sump that I bought of off a classified ad (remember those) in the Seattle times. I lived in North Seattle (I'm now in Ballard) and was close enough to easily buy the Seattle Aquarium's NSW from them that they also use in their own tanks.

How it works if you haven't tried it is you pull up to the back (North Side) of the Aquarium and there is a "gas station" type pump that you can fill your buckets, bottles, tanks up with. I used 5 gallon buckets from Home Depot with lids on them. Wasn't the best option but did the trick. The best part was that all you needed was a key card from the aquarium which had a microchip in it that just bills you every time you fill up and then they bill you monthly. The charge was and still is $0.05/g plus a $1.00 surcharge every time you go.

Back then there just wasn't as much info online and so I didn't even think about looking up if this water would a good fit for my tank. I figured if the Seattle Aquarium uses it for their tanks, including their coral reef tanks then it was good enough for me. I never tested the water besides salinity (bad I know) and just went with it. I never had any major problems with my tank for the few years I ran it but maybe that was just a gamble.

So what I'm interested in finding out from those of you that have used this water is... has it worked for you and how long have you used it? Does the water test out well compared to the salt mixes out currently? Also have you had better results with your own homemade salt water? One reason I ask this is because I was at a LFS last week and I was chatting with the owner and he said that he wouldn't recommend using their NSW because they only sand filter and that wouldn't account for toxins and other bad stuff in the sound. He also said that's why their corals don't last and they can't keep a tank doing well in their setup. Now I don't know if any of that last part is true but thought I would post it here for people's thoughts on it.

Lastly I went to the Seattle Aquarium's Salt Water Sales page online and read what they said about their water quality.

Here is what they say in terms of filtering, UV and Salinity:

Salt Water

The Salt water is drawn from Elliot Bay and it is the same water used in all the exhibits (including our coral reef exhibit) at The Seattle Aquarium for the last 20 years. Salinity is approximately 28 ppt (open ocean salt water is -32ppt). Temperature is ambient and ranges from 6C in the winter to 14C in the warmest summer periods.

Ultraviolet disinfection uses short wavelength light to kill bacteria and other organisms. Our water is also filtered to -750 microns. Most organisms are either filtered out of killed. While water has been irradiated with UV, we cannot warrant the water to be sterile.

So the question is, we know the price is right but is the quality worth it?:decision:

I have been using new from them for over 10 years now with not any issues. I go thru 2000gallons a month. Using it in both fish only and reefs. I will continue to use them as long as they sell it.

I know some people with other opinions will pop in but honestly I use alot of nSw and year round with never an issue so this is my experience with it.

This is funny I was thinking of asking the same question lol
definitely tagging along for the answers

Also thinking of switching to NSW

There are a number of threads here from many of us that have used Seattle Aquariums water. The salinity, CA and alk is usually pretty low. The P is usually pretty high and the other unwanted chemicals that we would not want in a reef tank especially this time of year in Seattle. With all the rain the water going into the sound its nasty in terms of reef water, well its nasty in terms of any water. I think Krish even has reservations with the beach water he can get in his back yard and its actually more suited to a reef than anything we have in WA.
Ive tried it and would not recommend it unless you were doing a regional cold water tank.

Don

I've used it exclusivly for the last 9 months and have had no issues that I'm aware of. I have fish, softies lps and sps as well.

Here is a quote from somebody that actually worked there.

The water that we sell at the aquarium isn't bad... Alot of seafood companies and restaurants purchase it for their holding tanks. HOWEVER, that is not the same water that we use in our Exotics tanks. The water that is sold is the same that runs through our local open systems. It is run through particulate & sand filters and UV. The water that we use in Exotics starts with the same water, but is run through another set of particulate and sand filters, carbon, ozone, another UV, and protein skimmer before we use it in tanks (it's obviously also heated).

Meche asked a very important question. Puget Sound water through our open systems (not the Exotics) nearly always has at least trace nitrates. For example, nitrates were .03 yesterday. We do not regularly test for phosphates but when we have, there have been at least trace amounts.

So MY OPINION is: do not use/purchase the water after heavy rains or the first rains after a dry spell due to runoff issues (Duwamish & sewer), do not use it in a tank that is not established, use it only for minor water changes, and buffer it before using.

~ Steve

The plot thickens, thanks Don! So interesting that the website I link to above says it's the same water used in all their exhibits yet according to "Steve" that may not be the case. Although if I read carefully what their website says maybe they leave some wiggle room because they never state that the don't further refine it so in essence they still use the water but they just further process/filter it. That would be what I call marketing at it's best if true and deceiving to the public. Maybe a phone call is in order? Any Seattle Aquarium employees care to chim in? I do know that some LFS around here sell the aquariums water, and they don't tell you need to do anything to it besides heat it up.

The plot thickens, thanks Don! So interesting that the website I link to above says it's the same water used in all their exhibits yet according to "Steve" that may not be the case. Although if I read carefully what their website says maybe they leave some wiggle room because they never state that the don't further refine it so in essence they still use the water but they just further process/filter it. That would be what I call marketing at it's best if true and deceiving to the public. Maybe a phone call is in order? Any Seattle Aquarium employees care to chim in? I do know that some LFS around here sell the aquariums water, and they don't tell you need to do anything to it besides heat it up.

Think about it this way 750 microns is huge in terms of filtration so lots of crud is going to get right by a 750 micron filter. Even the average filter sock is under 50 microns. Run a 5 micron on your tank and see the amount of crud you pull within minutes. Now you drive your oil leaky car down town on a rainy day, you and 10's of thousands of people. All that rain water is running right where you are buying water for your tank. Not to mention the ships and never ending polutant sources and thats just seattle. The river run off from other cities is adding to the mess.
Many folks here have volunteered at the aquarium and can verify they do not use open water in their tropical reefs. I'm sure it would be fine for a very large well established system. But to say its fine for all across the board is just not correct. A little crap in a 200 gallon tank is no big deal but in a 40 gallon you can kiss it good bye.

Don

Thanks Don, you make a good point.

On a side note what type of salt do you use? Lots of choices nowadays...

Also when I'm ready to get a skimmer I'm PM'ing you! Great workshop!

On a side note what type of salt do you use?

I have a bucket of IO holding down a tarp in the back yard. Other than that I dont need it, no more tanks for me. Unless of course I get some wild hair. When I have to drop a stand off at Barrier I bring my wife so I dont walk out with a new tank.:)

I would just go with IO if I were to start over today. Used it for many years and never had any problems except the occasional bad batch with low alk or something along those lines. IO is tried and true.

Don

All things considered I'm still really new to all this so this could have happened because of something else I screwed up, but I used water from them before and almost instantly had a diatom bloom. On testing my phosphates and nitrates were thru the roof while my pH had dropped to 7.8. My tank is 36 gallons so VERY unforgiving.

Back