Seattle aquarium seawater..........thoughts?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

reefhobyist

Hi guys,So starting off our saltwater tank and looking for opinions for what we should use for our saltwater startup. We can get saltwater from the Seattle aquarium but we have been told that it may not be good because it might contain contaminants. Any advice?

This topic has been covered a bunch of times and a quick search will render a ton of thoughts, but I will post some of the cliff notes here ;) I'm sure Krish or someone has all the links you'll need.

The saltwater you can buy is not the same as they use in their reef tanks. That water is ran through numerous sand beds and then refortified with trace elements.

The salinity in the water you purchase is lower than you will need in a tropical reef.

Some people have had great success using it.

I was at the aquarium a couple of weeks ago and talked to one of the head reef curators and he said the only difference is it is warmed up and the salinity is boosted other than that he said it is exactly the same. It is run through the same filtration. He uses it on his reef at home and has never had a problem.

Contrary to what I was told during my visit. I was told prior to being placed into the tropical displays it is ran through extra sand filtration and supplemented as needed. Iunno like I said some people really do well with it. Your results may vary???

Thanks guys! Would it be okay to maybe start a cycle with? It is just really hard lugging saltwater in 5g containers for a 57g tank! I can get the aquarium water delivered to me and then later on buy a RODI unit

where do you live? why not make your own salt from powder like Instant Ocean? if you dont have RODI then you just buy it frone of those water dispensers found at Safeway or Albertsons. Been using that for several years and tested 0-5 on my TDI meter.

Or order and have it delivered to your home from those water companies... just make sure you test their TDI first before use. I believe they run around 35 cents per gallon.

just my two cents.

Whomever you spoke to that said that our coral reef exhibits use the same water that is sold except it is warmed and salinity boosted and they use the water at home was not staff, let alone a curator, and gave false information. None of us on staff have a reef tank at home (anymore). The saltwater sold off the loading dock is the same water that's run through our LOCAL exhibits. The main market for sales is for the local seafood vendors who use it in their holding tanks. It's also fine for fish only aquariums, but we do not recommend it for reef tanks without further purification.

~ Steve

Back