Seattle aquarium water?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Shalori

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I was told about this site from several people at the PSAS meeting yesterday. Which was exciting for a couple of reasons. One,because it's local. Two, because the site I used to frequent seems to have changed since I was there last :doubt:. So I'm really happy to be here, seems like a nice community :eek2:.

I used to have a 125 several years back, but had to get rid of it when I moved into a much smaller place. So I haven't had a tank in quite awhile. I just bought a little 58 gal, and am setting it up now. But I haven't gotten an RO unit (and am not sure I can, as a renter). So I was wondering if anyone had used water from the Seattle aquarium? They said it's filtered and run through the UV sterilizer...

TIA

there is alot of folks that use that water here I know I will use it when i get my bog tank up and running cheaper. start cost for me as I will need 2 buckets of salt and alot of water.

Welcome to rf :)
I have a friend who use's it and has been for years, my opinion i would find the closes lfs to you and pick up ro di water from them! I prefer to mix my own water then trust others, do to off levels! jmo.. im not a fan of uv's and would never run my water with it!

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback so far guys, and for the welcome reef setup. :)

I have been thinking about it alot, as I know that people get water from lfs' as well as from those machines. But I wonder about those as well. Who really knows when any of those units have last been maintained either? Who knows if their cartridges need replacing or whatnot? I don't have enough experience that I would know by looking ( if I were able to even see them)... So following that thought process, is all water not run through our own units a potential gamble? What are your thoughts/advice?

i get mine from a machine and the guy changes the the one by my house every 2 weeks

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, and for the welcome reef setup. :)

I have been thinking about it alot, as I know that people get water from lfs' as well as from those machines. But I wonder about those as well. Who really knows when any of those units have last been maintained either? Who knows if their cartridges need replacing or whatnot? I don't have enough experience that I would know by looking ( if I were able to even see them)... So following that thought process, is all water not run through our own units a potential gamble? What are your thoughts/advice?
Your best bet would be to buy your own 5 stage ro di unit with a built in tds meter, so you know its being maintained! Being you cant keep one cuz of water cost? So i would resort to your lfs, you can trust them as they are here to help the community!

I just bought a little 58 gal, and am setting it up now. But I haven't gotten an RO unit (and am not sure I can, as a renter).

Welcome to RF.

Get an RO unit...Hook it to the sink spicket when you need to make water. Don't ask permission to use it, just ask forgiveness later it it's a problem.

Just make sure you set the timer on the stove so you don't forget about it and flood your neighbors.;)

Last edited:
I think that if you got it from a lfs it would be fine. The majority of them that I've been to seem like pretty good places and the people seem like they would be on top of changing filters and maintaining stuff like that.

It's actually really easy to hook up the RO/DI unit to the sink. I was going to the machine at the grocery store for a few weeks, then have saved $$/time/gas by not having to go out of my way for water! It's here whenever I need it!!!

I'm currently using the Seattle Aquarium water to fill my 180 (slow going as i can only transport 30g at a time) but i've noticed nothing out of the ordinary. I talked to the aquarium guys a while before starting and it seems their upkeep on filters is checked daily or every other day. The large volume they use if not properly maintained would build up VERY fast and cause millions in damages so they are constantly testing. Whats really nice is i have to add less salt to bring the water up to proper levels than if i was going pure rodi water

I personally can't think of anything better to use than Natural Sea Water. The Seattle Aquarium used the same water they sell in all of their Aquarium set ups. My guess is that it's safe.

Thank you so much for all of the opinions guys.

It is something to really think about. When I posted this I actually expected to only get the pro-RO side, so I was a little surprised to hear the feedback about the aquarium water. My thoughts were that if they use it in their own tanks, it must be safe... But I don't just need salt water, I'd also need RO for top-offs. So I'm definitely still weighing options, and welcome more thoughts...
Thanks again!
I went and looked at the stuff on the bulkreef site. Thanks for the link. :)

you can find ro/di sooo cheap on ebay just research what your buying i got my 6stage for 75 bucks you can always go back and buy high quality cartridges, a tds meter is a must have as well that way you know its working, i've been really debating useing the seattle aquarium water but your still going to need top off water, if you cant make it down to get water or there is an emergency you will want it. its worth the investment

I'm also torn between buying from SA versus getting my own RO from ebay. Haven't able to find a similar deal to what beoks mentioned above.

I filled my 350g system with Seattle Aquarium Water but to be honest you will enjoy this hobby more if you just go ahead and buy yourself a RODI unit. It is one of the most over looked equipment, one of the cheaper investment and one of the most important piece of equipment to own if you want a healthy successfull reef system. Remember a healthy reef starts and end with water quality so it is best to start it right. I'm not saying it can't be without a RODI unit but it will make your reefing experiment that much easier with minimal stress to you and the anilmals and you don't have to waste gas and time hauling water from the LFS to your house over and over. Think about the time and gas you will save over a years time. The Rodi will pay for it self.

Yeah, that's what I was leaning towards also. Anybody has a recommendation on a good RODI unit at a good price?

You need the RO/DI whether you use the SA water or not since you will want to use it for your evap top off water. That is basically my plan; use SA water for changes, use my RO/DI for top off.

You need the RO/DI whether you use the SA water or not since you will want to use it for your evap top off water. That is basically my plan; use SA water for changes, use my RO/DI for top off.

I plan to echo this plan, i filled my 180 with the water, now a week later, i'm emptying the tank again to pull it 2 inches farther from the wall. I feel bad that i'm gonna have to refill it but not as bad if i had filled it with rodi/LFS water

I started to look at RO units, to at least use for top-off, when I realized that I have access to an RO (possibly RODI, I haven't really looked that close on the past) unit at work. But I have no idea when the cartridges were changed last. Can you tell visually, or do you really need to get a TDS meter?

Back