Sebae Anemone survival rate in reef tanks!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

steven11

Somethingotherthannormal!
Just wondering on what some of your expierences have been with Sebaes? Thanks for any advice!

I have kept a sebae (seen in my avatar) for over a year now. It has really grown in the time I have had it...from approx 4 inches across to about 10-12 inches now. It took a while for my clowns to stop hosting a leather I had & move in to the sebae, but since then they have been very happy. I've had pretty much no problems with it at all. It quickly settled into a spot and has been there ever since.

One thing I have read is that sebaes don't normally split like other anemones, and so far my experience has been just that.

If you're looking at them in the LFS, try to avoid the ones that are very white, i.e. bleached...a good healthly one is usually more tan/brown and very 'sticky' when touched.

hth & good luck!
rob

I have a sabae in a 75gal reef i have had it for about a year now and it seems to be doing great. It was about 5 inches when i got it and now its about 14inches. I took a chance because when i got mine it was bleached white, i put under compact lighting and fead it a peice of shrimp twice a week until it started to regain its color.

Thanks for the info. I wonder what makes the difference on them surviving or not?

I too have kept a sebae alive for over a year, and have seen many dozens die in a few months: what you don't hear about is all the failures. Might have something to do with propagation. With GBTAs and RBTAs, almost all are cloned in captivity whereas most sebaes are taken from the wild. Many are from stores with insufficient lighting and get bleached. I have seen many dyed colors for sale. Like anything else, there are exceptions. I have seen tanks with healthy Moorish Idol fish and flower pot or elegans corals, though the chance of keeping one long term is about 1 in 20.

Riteris seems to do better as other long tentacles do. Most carpets are fairly hardy though dangerous to other inhabitants.

Last edited:
Back