Secret for crystal clear water

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Recife

I've been reading about how to remove those tiny particles from the water in my tank and the more I read the more confused I get. Opinions seem to vary a lot, so I figured I would ask here and see what you guys think.

Will an ozonizer, UV sterilizer or carbon resolve the problem? Which of them is the most likely to do it? Or better yet, what's the most likely cause of the particles in my tank? I'm so jealous of those tanks I see in office buildings and thai restaurants. Their water is normally so clear it's almost like the fish are swimming in air!

I have a carbon canister i run to clear my water up, and i know that carbon definatly makes my water crystal clear, not sure about the other 2

No matter what i do i have tiny little particles. I have just learned to accept them because i'm not going to spend a ton of money on more equipment to clear something that nobody even pays attention to but me. I too though have heard that Carbon and regular changing of filter socks are the best methods to kepp it crystal clear but thats what i'm doing and its notworking so go figure.

Running O-zone will make water super clear but I would make sure you know what your doing with that but it doesn't remove particles. Detritus is a part that you need good circulation to keep it in the water column so it can be filtered out with either a fine Micron sock filter, skimming, vacuuming, large water changes but even then I don't see how you can get it all out.

I use carbon for water clarity, but for tiny particles in the water, there's nothing I've really done yet to eliminate them. A filter sock should catch some of it, but I don't use one for different reasons. I know one thing though, lighting affects how much you will see. With my 10K MH bulb I see tons of tiny particles floating in the water, but with my 14k MH bulb I can't see it as easily:)

To remove fine particulate matter any type of filter will do it, be it a hang on back (HOB), canister, or filter sock. They all require regular maintenance so they don't become nitrate generators. Small particulate can also be a food source for invertebrates and corals in your tank. For a FO or FOWLR it's not much of a consideration. If you want to remove yellowing agents from the water then carbon or ozone are the tools of choice.

Regards,
Kevin

I used carbon in a phosban reactor and it worked really well. 100 micron filter socks worked the best to clean up the water. Ozone did get rid of the yellow color but that was it. :) I think ozone is over-rated but now a good 100 micron filter sock is awesome. Just make sure to change them out every 3 or 4 days.

Krish is right: my filter sock gets rid of some of the particles but not all. Also those tanks you see in the doctor's office or Thai restaurants likely don't have metal halid lighting. If I turn mine off I don't see any particles.

I have the same issue. Tank has been setup for about 5 months now. I have a 175g reef mostly softies / 30g sump and lots of particles floating all about in the water. I use a filter sock and change it out every 2-3 days. Some cheaper cotton in the overflow that I change out every 1-2 days. skimmer and other filtration in the sump, UV sterlizer. I still have the particles floating all over. I do not know how to get rid of them. I wish I could get that clarity that you metioned seeing in restaraunts ect .. fish swimming in air is what I would like to see.

Hey Scoot, used to run a diatom filter all the time.
That was back in the crushed marble under gravel filter days.
Great scrubbers, but lot of time and energy expended for the product.
Filter socks are almost as good for visible particulate matter. I have noticed that those most concerned about floating particles have too low of water flow and not enough rock

I have ample rock and flow return pump 7500L per hour and 2 vortech mp40w's throttled down so there is lots of movement and turnover. I may have to look into that diatom filter.

Oh this is funny!! From their FAQ under Can I run my Diatom Filter continuously?
"The main reason we don't recommend it is because most fish will not be able to stand the strain of constantly having to swim against the strong current generated by the Diatom Filter or any other high flow filter for that matter."
:eek::lol::lol:
It's a mighty 400GPH output that their largest model has.:lol::lol:
Maybe I should return my 2 Vortech MP20's and notify the ocean??

Last edited:
These type of filters will remove the particles? Not having an issue with color in the water ... the water is clear aside from the particles.

Getting perfectly clear water takes some work & you can bet you'll never get it perfect but very clean & clear for sure.

I used a Vortex Diatom filter, and LOVED IT!! Unfortunately, the motor seized up in it a couple years ago. I used it for fresh and saltwater tanks. Nothing clarifies water like a diatom filter. Next best thing, IMO, a Magnum Canister filter with the Micron cartridge. I use a couple to polish the water, once in awhile.

The Vortex Diatom website says that you can use the diatom filters together with other filters.

How with this work if I am use a predrilled tank with corner overflow gravity fed down to my sump? Can anyone who has owned one explain how I could integrate into my setup?

Back