Seeking ID.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Triggerjay

Last night, while hunting out a gorilla crab, these guys flocked the flashlight. There are bright blue, and bright red ones. Once in a while one would stop and rest for a second or two on the glass, and I was able to get a better look at them. They look like miniature bristle worms, maybe 1/8" in length, but swim in the water column. After clicking on the video, onced it opens, you can click the blue tab right under the vid to make it full-screen to see better. Thanks in advance!

Jason

wow they do look like bristle worms. I have seen some baby ones swimming around when I first setup our tank, but they weren't as active as yours, and they were not blue either!

wow they do look like bristle worms. I have seen some baby ones swimming around when I first setup our tank, but they weren't as active as yours, and they were not blue either!

My thoughts exactly. Most of the small critters I have found over the years are either transparent, or red... Blue is new to me... I'm sure someone will pop in with a positive ID. I have it on the "big three" forums all day, and have yet to get a positive ID. I seem to get all the hard to ID wierd critters. The last one Booomer ID'd for me, he had never seen in a home aquarium.. and I have tons of em... lol

Jason

I have seen the red ones at times and was under the impression that they were pods. If they're not, I'd be interested to find out what they really are.

Last edited:
Thats what they are. I found a vid of the free swimming form, and its exactly what I have. I would have netted one, but at the time, that was the least of my worries. I was crab hunting a gorilla crab when I discovered them.. lol..

Thanks once again Boomer!

Jason

do read Fenner's story on epitokes on WWM or in our reef inverts book... a hoot (he ate them :p).

I've been asked to collect them for locals while in the South Pacific. They are a delicacy.

Good call Boomer!

Hi Anthony
sweet-animated-gif-003.gif

cheers, my friend :) I am peeking out of my hermitage :p

Actually out from under a pile of boxes of books/mags to ship. I'm getting old and need a job with less lifting :D

the irony is that I got out of slinging distributor volumes of corals (just a few dollars a piece in multi-hundreds lots) each week because I was getting weary of wielding a few thousand pounds of water in boxes by hand truck each week.... writing and photography seemed like a logical projection. It turns out though that packing hundreds of books/mags loaded with colorful inked pages each day is not lighter work. :D

It turns out though that packing hundreds of books/mags loaded with colorful inked pages each day is not lighter work.

You are to old for any of that lifiting stuff :lol:...:D Get some hired help there Anth. A Couple of kids 10 bucks/ hr, with 2 bucks / hr as cash pay and the rest of their pay, 8 bucks/hr, will be a learning experience ;)

heehee... cant even afford child labor. 2 of 3 hobby publications lose money and the one that profits takes years to break even before making dough.

For me to be able to afford hiring my first employee... I need to license my name, repackage kalkwassrer... put a few grains of Strontium Hex in a bottle of water and call it "coralline magic" and do some other ridiculous things first ;) Not going to happen... so poor and old looks like my destiny (actually... I'm not complaining. The good reef chat and free beers are frequent and flowing :))

Back