Seeking suggestions for a DIY ATO.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ReefLogic

I am Android
I searched and couldn't find any write ups on a DIY ATO. I currently have a 30g tank that I am using as a sump until I figure out what I am going to do for my actual sump (tote, custom built).

Anyone have links to a DIY or can give me suggestions on what I can do?

For some reason I thought I saw something somewhere on this, but honestly not sure. I'm thinking it was on a smaller scale though like for a nano. In any event, I moved your thread over to the DIY section because I figured if there is anyone who will have the answer, it would probably be Don (DonW). :)

For some reason I thought I saw something somewhere on this, but honestly not sure. I'm thinking it was on a smaller scale though like for a nano. In any event, I moved your thread over to the DIY section because I figured if there is anyone who will have the answer, it would probably be Don (DonW). :)

I was going to say Shoot DonW a PM, he at one time made some diy's ATO's fairly cheap.

wow....you guys are amazing....and follow each other through threads....that is quite funny. It's like you guys are :fencing:

I searched and couldn't find any write ups on a DIY ATO. I currently have a 30g tank that I am using as a sump until I figure out what I am going to do for my actual sump (tote, custom built).

Anyone have links to a DIY or can give me suggestions on what I can do?

Yup. All you need is a 12vdc wallwart, two float switches and a tunze osmolator replacement pump.

Don

all i did for a long time was use a float switch and wired it into the pump directly. worked until i was on deployment and could not explain it to the wife so she bought the tsunami ato and it worked like a champ.

Great I will start looking into this thank you Jrgillesl. I just didn't know if there was a "cheap" way to do this.

Don, can you get a bit more descriptive please with your "budget" method.

I like the DIY kit setup. Easy to fix too if something goes bad. there are 2 versions. One has a float switch to stop the flow and a second float switch incase the first one sticks (don't want the switch to stick and dump your entire TO reservoir into the sump.)

The other kit they sell has the same, but also a switch that you run inverted (you can flip the float or something and it goes backwards) that you put into your top off reservoir, so if it goes below a certain level, it shuts the system off (so your pump doesn't run dry.)

all i did for a long time was use a float switch and wired it into the pump directly. worked until i was on deployment and could not explain it to the wife so she bought the tsunami ato and it worked like a champ.

Yep, I was about to say the DIY stuff is great until someone else needs to deal with your setup. DIY is nice if you know what you are doing. I don't mess with the brakes on my car or the transmission (even though I worked in a garage when I was younger). I also don't mess with 10 gallons of kalk on the wood floor/carpet and a dead reef tank at my own expense. Not saying the commercial products won't fail but at least you have an avenue for compensation if the product is faulty. Can't blame anyone but yourself if your own contraption goes haywire.

Last edited:
whats also nice is that you can add a 3rd safety feature with the level loc. it has the 2 seperate float switches and the 3rd is to add it to a timer to come in for x amount of time then it cuts power completely.

If you can drill your sump. I will suggest what i did in mine.

kent_float.jpg

kent_float2.jpg

Kent float valve
Kent Marine Float Valve Only, Black ABS

I hate to say this but I have had 3 of those Kent float valves fail and cause major issues. There is no safety feature with those.

been using mine for the last 6 years. So what kind of failure? so i can prevent one on mine. Which ever you choose, you always need redundancy. Murphy's Law.

Plastic failure and they stuck on So it continued to fill. Didn't know one time until it was too late as i had a drain on the sump and it just keep draining and filling. All 3 would last maybe 2 years then failed. When the float was all the way up it would still continue to fill. Slow mind you but would not shut off completely.

Back