Seio Super Flow Pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I use two of the seio 1500's in my tank and I have the controller.
I think they are great. I can't afford tunzes with a controller so this is the next best thing.

The only con I see is the use of a big ol powerhead in the tank.

Thanks. I try to keep as much equipment out of the display tank as much as possible as it is asthetically unpleasing, but want more flow in the system, so I may try one or a couple of the MJ's

Have you heard of the maxi-jet mod?
There is a way to dramaticly increase the flow of the maxi-jet powerhead. It also really increases the flow pattern (for lack of a better word).

Yes, I actually found this on a site today looking at Reef Chili.
Thanks for your advice today. Much appreciated. Just trying to get more flow. Guess I'll have to add powerheads. Didn't want too, but have no choice unless I want to use larger bulkheads for a larger pipe in the overflow. I would have to have the tank redrilled. Don't want to do that one. etc, etc.

i just bought a Seio from Aqaurium Extreme over the weekend..i can't wait to try it out..it should be here by the end of the week

Yes, I actually found this on a site today looking at Reef Chili.
Thanks for your advice today. Much appreciated. Just trying to get more flow. Guess I'll have to add powerheads. Didn't want too, but have no choice unless I want to use larger bulkheads for a larger pipe in the overflow. I would have to have the tank redrilled. Don't want to do that one. etc, etc.

Another option is a over the top plumbed cloosed loop. They work pretty good.

i tried the MJ mod..i ended up just throwing it away..the directions were a little vague...it worked for a few seconds, then it would stop running....Finn, i bought the Seio 600 or 620...something like that.....i have a closed loop as well, so i don't think i need one of the bigger ones..i just need a tad bit more flow across the front panel of the tank...if it ends up not being enough, i will try the Seio 1100....i really don't like the looks of powerheads, so i am trying to keep them at a minimum!!!! hopefully i will only need one

I LOVE Seios. Own 5 of them. Have two 2600s creating the current in my 180, does an awesome job, almost too much flow. Controller is in the mail. Have 2 1100s in my 72 bowfront and use an 820 for mixing water in the garbage can. For the money, sound level and wattage, hard to beat. Used to use external Iwaki, but it was loud and produced a lot of heat. Now have it as a backup.

I have two seio 2600 and controller and they work great nice broad flow and great movement some might say too much but the corals are poppin just wide opens and really responding to the more flow i also have four maxi jets 1200 and they are on a controller also they are agitating the top of the water to keep everything turning they flow is unbelievable just absolutely one of the best investment i have made also there is a site that show a video on the maxi jet mod and flow goes from 238 gallons to near about 1300 gallons pretty serious flow and they show it on REEFVIDEOS.COM can watch for yourself and make your own conclusion.

i tried the MJ mod..i ended up just throwing it away..the directions were a little vague...it worked for a few seconds, then it would stop running....Finn, i bought the Seio 600 or 620...something like that.....i have a closed loop as well, so i don't think i need one of the bigger ones..i just need a tad bit more flow across the front panel of the tank...if it ends up not being enough, i will try the Seio 1100....i really don't like the looks of powerheads, so i am trying to keep them at a minimum!!!! hopefully i will only need one

I used a 620 in a 20 gallon tank with sand on the bottom and it didn't stir it up at all.

Have 2 1100s in my 72 bowfront
Mike, is the flow really strong in your 72g???? i have a 72g that i was going to sell, but i think i will end up keeping it...i may buy some Seio's for it...are the 2-1100's too much flow for my softies???

used a 620 in a 20 gallon tank with sand on the bottom and it didn't stir it up at all.
really??? i figured it might be too much flow...i may have to order a different one..i may be able to change my order tomorrow..Bob at Aquarium Extreme said it would ship sometime tomorrow..i may try to get in touch with him

Last edited:
Mike, is the flow really strong in your 72g???? i have a 72g that i was going to sell, but i think i will end up keeping it...i may buy some Seio's for it...are the 2-1100's too much flow for my softies???

really??? i figured it might be too much flow...i may have to order a different one..i may be able to change my order tomorrow..Bob at Aquarium Extreme said it would ship sometime tomorrow..i may try to get in touch with him

What size tank are you adding it to?

I have a pair in my 240 that also has a Poseidon on a closed loop with 2 sea-swirls.

I would think that 2 1100's would be fine for your softy tank.
When you think of normal flow, you think of a very narrow stream.
With the seio's the flow comes out wide and gets very wide very fast, which actually leads to less flow faster.

You can dial it down if you have to.

i am adding it to my 125g..i have a closed loop with a pretty strong flow, but right across the front of the glass, i need a stronger flow..my returns actually keep some good flow in the ends

what size do you recommend for my 90. mixed tank. mainly set up for caribbean biotope. sponge, gorgonians, macroalgae. I have a few large tunicates, mussels and corals on some florida rock from (liverocknreef). I want a nice flow, but not to forceful as the tank is a standard 90 gal.

Back