Seio Super Flow Pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I run an 820 and a 620 in my 38, both at full throttle, with a deep sand bed. I also have a 300gph HOB filter helping stir things up. Granted, my tank is heavily SPS, but I haven't had any problems at all. You can get away with a whole lot more flow with these powerheads versus standard jets.

In a 90, I'd be thinking about a pair of 1100s, at least, with the understanding that you have a return mixing into the equation.

I hope it's not out of line, but I highly recommend OceansAquariums (run by Noel), phone (559) 304-5674. I just bought an M820 for far less than anywhere else I've ever seen.

Last edited:
In my 90, besides the iwaki running the return, It has an 1100 on one side and an 820 on the other. Worked VERY well. 2 1100s would create all the flow one desired. Ditto in a 72 bow

Last edited:
macronut: I have 2 seio 1100's & 2 maximod 1200's in my 90g. Works well & my sand is still on the bottom :)

hth,
rob

Thanks for the info. I ordered one today and it should reach me by tomorrow. I thought about two, but wanted to see what one would do first, flow etc.

Thanks again.

well i got my Seio 620 today..this thing doesn't put out any flow.....i will have to use it in my 20g or 30g...i was going to use it on my 125g, but that was a joke!!!!

well i got my Seio 620 today..this thing doesn't put out any flow

I agree to an extent. It's not that it doesn't produce a lot of flow, but it is just too broad of a stream for the gph of flow on this model. I have one here that I tried to use in place of a maxi jet and had to go back to the maxi jet. The 820's however, do put out great flow for the width of the stream. Just the 620's seem lacking a bit:)

I used a 620 in a 20 gallon tank with sand on the bottom and it didn't stir it up at all.

Like I said a couple of the 1100's minimum.
I had a pair of 1500's in a 180, with two other Pan World pumps as returns.

after you told me that , i tried to change my order, but it was already sent out..Bob told me he would work out something to exchange it, but i figured i would use it in one of my smaller tanks if it wasn't enough..

Have the new Seio controller on 2 each 2600s in the 180, love the effect as do the corals! Have turned off the larger return iwaki pump as don't need any more flow.

i got my 1100 and put it in my tank today. I don't like it as the current is to strong for a 90. I'm going to have to send it back!

Ronj, an M620 too small for a 125? Duh! The number on the pump is the gallon per hour output. 620gph in 125gallons is only 5x flow rate, man! That pump will work nicely in a 20 or 30g.

Macronut, maybe you just need to get used to the amount of flow? 1100gph in a 90g is only 12x flow rate. Even softies do well in double that. You really need decent flow in a reef tank, probably a lot more than you'd think. Flow is what brings food and nutrients to your corals. Flow is what helps your corals expel wastes. Flow is what keeps detritus in suspension, so it can make it to your skimmer. Flow is what moves water through your rock, for proper filtration. Seriously, I'd be running a pair of M1100s in a 90g, assuming you had a decent return.

How do you have that one aimed? I've had GREAT success with putting one powerhead in each of the back corners of the tank, pointed toward the center of the front glass. Don't worry about pointing them right at your corals. When the two flows meet in the middle, they create all sorts of turbulence, and move water around to every corner of the tank.

As I mentioned earlier, I run an M620 and an M820 (1440gph combined) in a 38g tank. This is in addition to a 300gph HOB filter. 1740gph in a 38 makes 46x flow rate, and I have a deep sand bed.

macronut: fwiw, I have a 90g and currently run 2 seio 1100s....plus 2 maximod 1200s. Are you having problems with it kicking up your sandbed? As Sherman mentioned, perhaps aiming it differently might help.

Good luck!
rob

i got my 1100 and put it in my tank today. I don't like it as the current is to strong for a 90. I'm going to have to send it back!

I agree on maybe re-positioning them. I had almost 4,000 gph in a 24 inch 38gal tank and was not too much:)

Ronj, an M620 too small for a 125? Duh! The number on the pump is the gallon per hour output. 620gph in 125gallons is only 5x flow rate, man! That pump will work nicely in a 20 or 30g.
Sherman, i have 2 mag12's also for flow in the tank..i just needed a tad bit across the front of the tank..the Seio needs to be a little bigger than the one i have...

Back