Semi new and very eager to learn.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Baboso

Hello all Reef Frontiers members-

I am new to this forum and giving reefkeeping a second shot after about 10 years. Back when I had saltwater 10 years ago I was real good about spending a bunch of money and flushing it down the toilet. I have had freshwater tanks for the whole time but caught the reef bug again within the last month. Currently I have a 180 gallon show tank with a combined 30 gallons under the tank with sump and refugium. The major thing I am researching right now is this new LED lighting stuff and the required chemestry to keep these beautiful creatures alive.

Any direction in these areas or any others that I should be looking into would be very appreciated.

Thanks a ton,

Baboso

Welcome. Type it into the search bar. You can find good stuff there.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Oh yea I have anothr quick question aout the reefugium. What are the advantages to having the light above your reefugium on a timer as opposed to on all the time?

most plants need a light off period to grow. there are some plants that you dont want a lights off because they will go a-sexual. some people put the fuge on a reverse cycle as the DT (display tank) to help maintain the ph.

Welcome to RF. And welcome back to the hobby. There is tons of info here. If you remember what you were having problems with before, search the threads and ask questions. There is someone that has had the same questions and hopefully got answers that will help.
There are a lot of people here using LED lighting with great results. There are a lot of different brands to choose from, or there is the DIY. There is a thread on DIY LED's in the DIY forum.
I leave the light on in a couple of my refugiums 24/7. I have had red and green grape caulerpa, and mexicana caulerpa in my refug along with cheato. A couple of the refugiums with cheato only I set on reverse lighting period from the DT. And it grows pretty well. One of them under a single white LED. Its a small refug.
Again, welcome to RF.

Welcome back...nice to know that I am not the only one starting out and that there will be lots of people here to help

glad to hear your going the salt route. thier are ppl here that will help u with everything. plus thiers already tons info on here. yea dnt be afraid to ask if you cant figure it out.

Back