Senior Picture advice

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Hi all,
My daughter has asked me to take her Senior Pictures. I did this for my oldest daughter, several years ago, with a Kodak P&S and they turned out pretty good. However, I want to make these even better, not because I like this daughter any more...lol, but because I now have much better equipment and time to plan it out. Well, a small amount of time.

We'll be heading to Seattle for a few days, later this week. She wants to take a bunch of pics while there, in a variety of settings, including the ocean beaches. I'm familiar with the area, but not very familiar with some of the nicer areas and beaches. We do plan to spend a couple of days on Kitsap Peninsula. Anyone familiar with the area that can offer some advice?? We also might have an opportunity to head north of Seattle.
Now to the equipment. I'll be shooting a Canon Rebel Xt. I have the following lenses.
Kit 18-55
Tamron 70-300 4-5.6 (Macro)
Canon 100mm Macro
Canon 50mm 1.8
Canon 55-250IS

I do have a tri-pod.

I also have access to a Canon 580ex ii.

I haven't done a lot of portraiture shooting, but when I do, I typically use the 50mm or 100mm. However, I recently purchased the 55-250is and have taken a few with it. Most of my shooting is also done in Manual Mode, and I've never shot in RAW yet. I need to learn how!!

I really like the idea of being able to really blur the background, but have been told that to really get the best results, I need to shoot in AV mode, which I've never done. Can people explain if this is true, and if so, the best way to quickly become familiar with AV mode shooting? The best settings and such? I'm hoping to shoot early mornings and evenings, but will also be shooting mid-day shots. I'd also like to attempt some night shots.

Basically, any and all advice would be welcome!!!!

Thanks so much!!!

SALTWATER STATE PARK in federal way

Olympic national park

West port

Paradise by MT Rainier

I'll think of more later

Thanks Adam. I'm sure that will help Michael out a bit. We plan to leave as early as possible on Thursday, but it won't work out for us, it never does....LOL

When I was playing around with my camera in italy I read through the quick start manual that came with it - it had quite a few little exercises on setting your parameters, and how to use the AV mode...

Basically from what I remember - set it to AV, and then open your Aperture up... The higher your aperture, the more background blurring you will get. I've been shooting with the aperture fully open and have been liking the focal point shooting I've been getting on flowers, etc.

There are plenty of places to shoot around here that would work well for senior pictures. You could do Kerry Park that has the famous view of Seattle and Mt. Rainier, Discover Park that has a cool lighthouse and waterfront location, Seattle Arboretum, Hurricane Ridge on the Olympic Peninsula, etc.

I'm curious how you say that you shoot full manual but aren't familiar with Av mode. Shooting manual requires to you adjust aperture so you should be good there. Also, shooting in any of the creative modes (manual, Av, Tv, etc) also automatically records a RAW image if I remember right. The RAW is just for the processing so you don't need to do anything different while shooting. The best thing you can do is just go out and practice as much as you can. I would use the 100mm F/2.8 and shoot it wide open, or stop the 50mm down to F/2.8 or so since that lens isn't very sharp wide open. Have fun with it!

Thank you everyone!! Blazer, I was especially hoping to hear from you!! LOL

What I mean is that I've always shot in Manual Mode, but never in AV mode. When I tried it the other day, it kept slowing my shutter speed WAY down. I need to read up on it I guess. The camera doesn't save anything in RAW, unless I tell it to. I do have an option to save in Jpeg and Raw.

Blazer, can you maybe give me a lil' more information on some of those locations? I'd like to google each, to find out more, and also, eventually mapquest some of them. Oh, nevermind, just Googled each and got lots of results!!

Thanks everyone!! Keep the ideas coming!! Anything north of Seattle? What about taking pics while on ferry rides? I'd also really like to do some low light stuff.

My wife and I did our engagment photos around West Seattle. We used Easy Street Records and CD's and Cupcake Royal in the Alaska Junction and also Alki Beach. It allowed us to do something really different than the same old thing everyone else was doing.Of course, theses locations fit our personalities/life styles, so they may or may not work for you.

Washington Park, near Anacortes, is also a very cool park that has nice views of the sound. Mt. Erie is also in that area that would be good to take pics at. Anywhere on San Juan Island as well. There are TONS of options!

For doing portraits I've always heard you want to keep your lens above 50mm to compress the background a little bit. Also an aperture of 5.6 is normally about right for keeping just the width of a normal human head in focus while blurring everything else out.

Av is just easy mode manual where it finds the "correct" exposure setting for you. If you like manual mode just set your aperture at 5.6 and use the shutter speed to expose however you like.

Donn't how how long and how "deep" you plan to be in the Kitsap Peninsula area, but these two places are among the best I have seen over there a few years ago... They both on the way to Neah Bay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lake_Crescent_from_Pyramid_Peak.JPG

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Coast3full.jpg

Oh yeah that place is beatiful this time of the year! I drive down that way every other week when I head down to the river near there for salmon fishing. Speaking of salmon the Kings are running right now and you can keep them starting this Saturday!!!

Hey Sid if you need any Photoshoping and touching up pics let me know I work cheap FREE lol portraits are my favorite thing to work on. Some tips dont waste timeshooting in B&W and Sephia all those can be done in photoshop. Also Make sure to leave room around subject for cropping

Back