separating zoas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
I have some really nice green centered Zoas and ther are some larger zoas or palys that are twice the size of the greens and are kinda taking over the area and growing up between the greens. Is there a way to safely remove the unwanteds to save the greens? they are shading the light on the green zoas and are growing faster than the nicer wanted zoas.

Yeah, use a razor blade and cut them off the rock or base and glue the paly to another rock

Cut as close as you can to ther base with a sharp razor blade and re-glue them. You should be just fine

Ok heres a pic of what I'm talking about the brown ones are taking over. And are between the green ones that I love. there are even some new green ones with a orange ring around the mouth starting that you can't see because of the ugly ones. There are about 2 times more ugly ones than when I bought this piece.And if I cut them off do I do it in the tank or take them out and do it in a separate container of saltwater?

zoas007.jpg

Last edited:
If you get them all to close up then it will be really easy to cut them out. Another way is to just break the rock. Other then that I am not sure. Anyone else wanna chime in?

Wear gloves so you don't get exposed to the polytoxin. I'd think if you do it in the tank, you should probably be running carbon, but doing it in the tank could be a bad idea. Might want to get someone else's opinion on that one.

I would get a small tub and do it out of the tank. maybe a casserole dish that's 9"x9" and about an 1" of aquarium water.

I think I will wear gloves and saftey glasses and do it in some tank water in a separate container.Unless some else has a better Idea?

Back