September meeting - 9/12 @ 7 PM

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Help me prepare!!! The topic of discussion will be photography. If you have any specific questions, techniques, or subjects that you'd like addressed, please let me know, in this thread. This way, if I need to do some homework, I have, ummm...well...a day to do it in...lol. It'll give me something to do between taking care of Angie, after her surgery tomorrow, finishing getting the house somewhat in order, for the meeting...and ummmm....chasing after Madison!!

Room for more?

So think you have room for two more to attend?
We were going to come, sister is coming later this weekend so we are free.

I think I struggle with taking pictures in part because my camera is older, a digital one, but it seems it doesn't let you do a lot of settings on your own. Its hard to not have the flash in the way, or you cant seem to get in too close. It has auto focus. Maybe tips on how to get close enough, or what things you can do with the lighting settings?

Oh and is anyone interested in some Kenya trees or Anthelia? I have extra I'd like to get rid of.

Thank you so much Shawn!!! Even though I didn't recognize you...lol. Sorry about that!!

I'd like to say Thank You, to everyone who attended. We had an amazing turn out. It was standing room only, for several hours and I enjoyed visiting with everyone. I apologize I wasn't able to visit with each one of you, as long as I'd liked to have.

I meant to announce, at the meeting, that since our topic of discussion was photography, I'd like to start a new thread, dedicated to the pictures that we all took. I will start the thread, in our SRS forum. Please feel free to post any of the pictures you took, in that thread. If you have any questions, comments or advise, please feel free to speak up!! However, let's keep all comments to a positive tone!!

Thanks again everyone!!

Here's the photography sharing thread. http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=487790#post487790

Last edited:
Thank you Mickael and Angie for opening your home for the our meeting. Well done! I've got a couple of pictures I can try and post on the photo thread.

Thank you so much Shawn!!! Even though I didn't recognize you...lol. Sorry about that!!

Totally fine, in all fairness i did just shave my head too lol. I typically do every 4 or 5 months when my hair starts getting on my nerves.

People don't typically remember me cause i don't talk much :D Anyway i love your setup and the tank is coming along great, the depth of it is truly amazing, pictures totally don't capture that.

I wish i had a camera so i could have fully taken in some of the knowledge that you were sharing. My $60 p&s is holding me over until tax time then i plan on getting an SLR, I'll probably pick your brain then :)

It was lots of fun, and nice of you to have us all.
We learned some things, and I think even
on our little camera there are some settings we can change to manual and maybe take better pics. Joe said as you talked a lot of things came back to him. He used to be into photography and has a nice camera with some lenses but its the older type that takes film.

Yep, plenty of info. Unfortunately, it's enough info for me to find out that it's about a 7 year old camera, released in 2002...lol.

3.2mp
3X Optical Zoom
4X Digital Zoom (Stay away from digital zoom for best results)
It does have a Manual mode, which is good, but so far, I haven't found out much about just how "manual" it is.
Unfortunately, no custom white balance option.

Here's some info on it, from a very trusted source. This is my favorite photography rating sites.
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0209/02091901nikoncp3500.asp

Bring it over some time and we'll mess around with it!!! I wanted to do that the other night, but it was just a bit too hectic....lol.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I briefly looked at some of the info. Busy day! Ups brought my PC stuff so it was in pieces most of the day all over my office, LOL.

Yep, sometime I'll bug you about picture taking. :)

pfft i so wanted to go to the meeting,ashley had bought us mma tickets like the weekend beforehand.they were like 55 each so i was going no matter what.lol.anyhow i wish i could have made it.im sure it didnt miss a beat without me.im sure ill see ya again.

I just wanted to bring up something I tried out after the meeting this month. I remembered some folks discussing whether they use the shields that come with their T5 lighting. Being that my fixture is new and has a shield I opted to use it and see how hard or easy cleaning would be after a months use. So just now about 1.5mo of use later I decided to clean any salt residue off. I just used a foam eraser block with a tiny bit of water and a small paper towel to dry as I went. It took all of 1 minute and it is as clear as when I installed the light. So far me at least this method is much easier than cleaning each bulb/reflector and I am unable to see any difference in lighting with it on or off. Although i'm sure if you slacked off for a few months it wouldn't be much fun. Anyways that is my 2 cent follow up on that conversations :).

That's great to hear!! Yes, make sure you keep up on it. It's not the 1.5 month worth of salt creep that you really need to worry about, it's the calcium deposits that will eventually build up on it. Every 6 months or so, remove the shield, spray it with a solution of water/vinegar and let it sit overnight. Wipe it down the next morning and re-install.

Back