sequence dart problems/ help!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

tigerarmy40

Just went to water test my close loop and when I plugged the pump in nothing. Pump was used for 4 months when I bought it about 2 years ago. Not to familiar with these pumps. Is there something I might be doing wrong? How do I go about priming it? Any help would be great. Thanks

What type of CL do you have, some do need to be primed, depends on how it is plumbed.
Now first question, you plug it in, does the Motor sounds like it is running? Does it hum? You can take it out & remove the Pump housing, sometimes when sitting a long time, the seal will rust some & may be preventing the motor from turning. Gently turn the impeller to free it up. Clean it while your at it, use a little Vaseline on the O-Rings & then gently re-assemble the unit, careful not to over tighten the bolts on the pump housing as not to crack it.
If you have power & all that doesn't work, then you can look up the number to Ree flow & call to set up a repair, I'm sure they will fix it very reasonably.

thanks scooty! the pump does hum, and when I turned the screw in the back of the pump it was difficult for the first few turns then it loosened up...I need to refill the tank and try again now but in the meen time I crated a leak at my 2" drain...I think the bulkhead is my problem there! here are some pics of my setup for referance

Picture021.jpg

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

As long as the supply BH is under water & it is getting to the pump then you should be good. Bump it with a short burst, plug it in & out fast enough to tell if it will turn over but no longer, If you can fill the pump housing with some water no harm should be done.

hey, whats going on? Ive been a lurker herre for quite a while!!!

scooty, I got the pump to run on my kitchen counter :) water everywhere for a quick second!!! any reason now that if I hook it all back up that it wont run again?

It should, I have to look & see but there is a way to lube up where the seal meets the shaft If I remember correctly, Might be a good idea to look into that. Also never leave the pump plugged in if you hear the motor binding up, it will just overheat it & burn it.

thanks again sir, I appreciate the help!!!

now can anyone tell me a full proof way to make sure my bulkhead doesnt leak!?!?

It should, I have to look & see but there is a way to lube up where the seal meets the shaft If I remember correctly, Might be a good idea to look into that. Also never leave the pump plugged in if you hear the motor binding up, it will just overheat it & burn it.

The seal does not seal against the shaft on this pump. I had to replace a leaking seal on mine about 2 years ago. I was completely confused at how the thing sealed when I first took it apart. Its a two piece spring loaded seal, made out of what looks like a ceramic material. If I remember correctly one piece fits into the housing and the other piece goes on that back of the impeller. 2 years plus and no leaks.

FWIW if you ever have any problems with Sequence pumps contact them. They stand behind the products they make.

Last edited:
Back