Setting up a 125 gallon.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

oldsalty

Setting up a 125 gallon. NEED HELP

Hi everyone i am currently running a 55 gallon tank and love it. Now i want too move on too a bigger and better tank (125). My 55 is a fish only and im running a 48" pc and a power filter no sump. I am wanting too make this 125 a reef but since im only 13 years old Im am short on money (parents already piched in for 55) I was wondering if some one could give me a list of the equipment I should buy and the cost ( try too stick too the cheaper stuff ) so I can total it and start saving! Thank You.

Last edited:
re: setting up a 125 gallon

Don't mean to be too discouraging - but this isn't a cheap hobby. Setting a 6 ft reef tank (125 gal) is probably going to cost you at least $1000 to $2000, once you factor in

lighting (at least 500 watts) either Metal Halides or Power Compacts
live rock about 100 lbs
substrate 4-5 inches
tank
stand
hood
sump with pump
protein skimmer
refugium (optional)
plumbing
heaters
chiller (optional)
Reverse Osmosis - water treatment
water movement in tank
overflows

You may have some equipment already for your 55 gal, but if it is a fish only tank you will have to get alot more equipment to keep corals. Check out marinedepot.com, drs fostersmith, thatfishplace, etc. to get an idea of prices. You may be able to do it slowly and spread the cost out over 1-2 years, if you are patient. Hope this helps.

I have noticed setups for sale on Craig's List, an online want ads source. There are sometims setups offered, including the critters, rock and everything often at quite a bargain. If you aren't located near a major city, try your local newpapers, want ads, etc. Here is an example of a setup that sold last month here (In Washington). It is already SOLD, but you can see how much equipment is involved and the price asked. Retail would be a lot more.

...Beautiful 180gal (72x24x24) acylic salt water/reef Tank. Dual built -in -overflow,blackback. Custom light oak stand (72x24x36) finished all sides. Custom light oak high-hood canopy (72x24x14) 3 doors on 72" sides. Venturi protein skimmer: Turbo float 1000...Iwaki waterpump..(2) six-foot VHO's..(1) 400 watt 10,000k matal halide..(1) sea swirl power head. A large sump with bio balls...UV sterilizer..RO unit...About 250 lbs live rock with all kinds of mushrooms...one green Bubble...Tons of live sand and crushed coral...3 yellow tangs, a pair of yellow band maroon clowns..Emperor anglefish just about done changing color, Queen anglefish with streamer..skunk cleaner shrimp, purple urchin,(2)sand sifting star fish...Tons more..Asking$1600.00 OBO..We are needing to sell soon our Carpet is here and we can not lay it with Tank here..Can e-mail pictures.

Make sure your parents house (floor) can support a large aquarium. I wish you good luck, if you want a reef setup, you can do it, it is only a matter of time and persistence to figure out how to get there.

Good luck! :)

Back