setting up a skimmer?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jennwest

I just got an aquaticlife mini 115 skimmer and I am wondering if I am setting it up right.
I have never used a skimmer in my tanks so I don't know too much about the set up! I got it put together and put it in the first chamber of my 29 gallon biocube. I'm just unsure of the water flow adjustment. It has the tiny bubbles at the base of the tube thing with bigger ones towards the top. Do I need to adjust the water flow to make the pop at the top to create foam or do I just leave it alone and let it rise on its own?
Thanks!

Not familiar with the skimmer but recommend making sure you read the adjustment directions. Keeping in mind skimmers take a while to break in so if it was me I would just let it run for a day or 2 and see what develops with the current level. if not making the foam your looking for make adjustments to raise the bubble column up. Let it sit for a awhile and adjust again accordingly until you start to see foam rising up and into the collection cup. Once there than fine tune to create more or less a dark to light coffee color of fluid in the collection cup.

Not familiar with the skimmer but recommend making sure you read the adjustment directions. Keeping in mind skimmers take a while to break in so if it was me I would just let it run for a day or 2 and see what develops with the current level. if not making the foam your looking for make adjustments to raise the bubble column up. Let it sit for a awhile and adjust again accordingly until you start to see foam rising up and into the collection cup. Once there than fine tune to create more or less a dark to light coffee color of fluid in the collection cup.
Thanks! I feel like I've been messing with it a lot, so leaving it alone would probably be good.
The instructions that came with it weren't very helpful beyond how to put it together!

Not to confuse you, but once you do get it set, after its broken in, you do have to do maintenance on it. Take it out and clean it about once a month. Otherwise youll notice the skimmer start not working as good as it used to. Once you get it cleaned up and back in your tank, youll have to let it breakin again(usually) and re-adjust it to where it was before. So make mental notes on how you set it up the first time so everytime after, you dont have to fiddle with it as much. Bout the only advice i can give you. Hope it helps.

Back