setting up a sump/refugium

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

johny99

I am setting up a sump/refugium for my 55 gallon reef. I need a little help. I have two overflows that I would like to have one go to a refugium tank and a frag tank (separate). I would then have the water go back into the show tank. The other overflow go to a sump with the skimmer and carbon filtration and back into the show tank. Is this a good way to go? I like the idea of a refugium.

thanks for your comments.

AS long as it all ends up in one chamber with one return pump, it will be just fine.

I agree with trido. The way you are stating it as above you would have to have 2 return pumps which IMHO is overkill and un-necessary .

you really dont need a second overflow either as long as you have enough drainage for the return. you could have the fuge and frag tank drain into the sump and split the return to the fuge and display tank etc. tbh you really dont want the drain going to your frag tank. you want as clean of water as possible going to that tank. maybe the refuge would benefit from unfiltered dt water but i wouldnt suggest it on the frag tank.

Back