setting up new refugiums

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sx230

purchased a hang on refugium by cpr.i have a couple of questions.i put about 2inches miracle mud in refugium directions say to let sit for about 2 or 3 days before you add macro algae.how long should i wait before i add algae and turn pump on?also purchased about 1cup of chaetomorpha algae it looks like a small quantity would that be enough(refugium is 19"L*12"h*4"W)light fixture has 18watt 10,000k pc.how long should i keep light on?setting it on a timmer.would the algae be in good conditions under the 10,000k bulb?lots of questions :oops: i would appreciate your help thank you

Well lets see. That will be plenty of algae, it will grow in just fine. I keep my light on 24/7. The 10,000k light will work just fine.
Dont know anything about the mud, just follow the instructions.

Never used miracle mudd myself either...About the lighting, like Steve said, he runs his 24/7. I run my on alternate photoperiod from my tank. I guess which ever way works best for you. If you un 24/7 you won't need a timer, but if you ran alternate photoperiods, I'd suggest one. I let mine cut on 30 mins before the tank lights go off and stay on 30 minutes after the tank lights come on. This way, my tank (water) always has light over it which helps with keeping a more consistant ph. HTH and good luck!

JPG@CFI said:
Sweet looking boat, what is it?

Jason
CFI
worldclassaquariums.com.
the boat is a 2004 24foot yamaha sx230 twin engine puts out 300 or 320 horsepower it does about 48mph with a full load of 7 adults 3 kids not that quick more of a family cruser gets alot of attention on its sleek sporty look and pounding sound system over all lots of family fun !thanks

krish75 said:
Never used miracle mudd myself either...About the lighting, like Steve said, he runs his 24/7. I run my on alternate photoperiod from my tank. I guess which ever way works best for you. If you un 24/7 you won't need a timer, but if you ran alternate photoperiods, I'd suggest one. I let mine cut on 30 mins before the tank lights go off and stay on 30 minutes after the tank lights come on. This way, my tank (water) always has light over it which helps with keeping a more consistant ph. HTH and good luck!
would it be fine if i ran refugium light 8 to 9 hours?turning on 4hours after main tank light go off.reason is sometimes will sit and watch a movie 18watt bulb is a little distracting main tank lighting goes off 8:00 i figure if refugium light turns on at 12:00 will be asleep.good night light so whoever needs to go to restroom they wont be crashing into everything.i got a 5foot boa,its set up is in between kitchen and bathroom at night always hear my wife or daughter banging into this set up (plenty of room to walk through!!!!)

I have that fuge also. I use miracle mud. I just put it and and let it flow. I put macro in also right away. Didnt hurt anything. I have the tank fuge on alternate schedule. And the smaller in the bedroom is on when the halide is on.

Back