Share your ideas on the ideal Frag tank

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

nice matt, nice.. very nice! Are you doing SPS in there? if so what made you choose T5 vs. MHs. I love both, just curious. and good god man, what size is that beast - it looks humungously awesome!

Rick - I like your idea of the UV. It'd help for the QT part of it for sure. may have to wait b/c of expenses, but I think this is a seriously good idea!

Luis - I've got a couple extra ball valves on hand, so will likely use these. I've heard similar stories about them getting stuck before, but not neceasrily failing.

Ben,

I'm lighting with T5's on the frag and MH's/T5's on the display. I just want to see what the difference is in coral color when it is only light that is different between the two tanks. The display will have a majority of SPS, but I'll have LPS and zoos also. The tank is 370 gallons and all crystal.

matt

Ben,

I'm lighting with T5's on the frag and MH's/T5's on the display. I just want to see what the difference is in coral color when it is only light that is different between the two tanks. The display will have a majority of SPS, but I'll have LPS and zoos also. The tank is 370 gallons and all crystal.

matt

Fantastic. I can't wait to see it filled up with water and corals. I can't imagine how you feel. :D:D:D

Patience, it's a good thing to have.
indeed.

Well, I made a little progress today. Duane came over with his diamond bit hole saw and we drilled a hole in the back corner of the tank for a drain. I think I'm just going to order up a simple strainer and throw it on there. I thought about building an overflow, but I'm not going to have too much water draining out of there, so I think the strainer will do just fine, plus it's cheap & easy. we made a little dam out of carpenters putting, filled it with some water, and in 5 minutes we were threw!!! i thought it was going to be a lot more complicated than that, but it turned out to be pretty simple.

1752257829_db37607cf1.jpg

1752258385_31e083c5b7.jpg

top down view w/ out strainer:
1753107196_b55159f736.jpg

I also ran to Lowes and bought a little shelfing unit, some lamp chain, and hang the reflector from it. No ballast yet, but I'm starting to make a little progress here!

1753106706_5f04d7f1e0.jpg

Lastly, we figured out a way on how I could tie my existing system into the frag tank without adding any extra pumps. I have two existing MJ1200's in my sump running carbon through 2 TLF phosban reactors. I figure I could just extend the output line to the frag tank and use these to feed it with fresh water. I'm also thinking about just attaching them to these U-Tube thingys and loop them over the side of the frag tank so I can direct flow easier.

PF-CASCWD-U-TUBE.jpg

That's it for today. I'd love to see some more pics of frag tanks or get your input/ideas if you ahve any..
:)
Ben

Your a maniac. When do you fit work into your day? :lol:

ha ha.. The wife had her own plans last night, so allowed me to work on some plans of my own :).

Question: I was thinking I should black out the back of the tank to hide some of the tubing and give it a little cleaner appearance. Is krylon spray paint the best for this, or do you guys have any other tricks up your sleeve?

Ive used krylon and brush on latex. The krylon is much stinkier and cheaper but required a bit more prep, also the can is useable for future DIY projects. I believe the latex dried harder and is more permanent. How about a piece of cardboard painted black? You could change it out to blue when your board next year. :)

Last edited:
Back