shark egg question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

dviper150

Not sure if this is the right place to post this. I have a shark egg that should hatch any day now. the yolk was completely gone on monday and wanted to know how long does it take for it to come out after that. the only source of food in the egg was the yolk and now that its gone, i don't want it starving in there. Do i take it out myself now or give it more time and how much more time? Just don't want it to starve in there. Thanks for the help

i hatched several and I have never had to help them out of the sack. They will usually come out with in a week of the yoke being gone. it also may take a couple weeks to get it to feed once hatched. hope this helps. just be patient.

Here are a couple pics...

4.jpg

8.jpg

I found a strange behavior between my sailfin tang and the shark. I noticed that if I or any other fish comes near the shark, the sailfin opens up its fins and gets very territorial. The blue hippo tang tries to nip the shark sometimes but the sailfin always scares it off :). I have never heard of this kind of relationship before with tangs and shark but this just seems very interesting to me. At night, i usually find the sailfin with the shark.

Here is a picture of it defending it while I was taking a pic. The shark isn't that clear but you can see it in the corner behind the sailfin.

CIMG0313.jpg

CIMG0314.jpg

Not yet, still trying. He hatched on Feb. 14 but I am trying to get it to eat. Hopefully in the next week or 2 it starts eating.

I wonder if the relationship is because of the similar strip pattern between the sailfin and the shark? The sailfin may be confused and taking on a maternal role LOL

Back