Shark Pool

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

shallowreef

I doubt many of you have experience with sharks but i am thinking about getting out of the reef scene and building a shark pool. I was thinking about keeping a black tip or maybe a bonnet head. Now my main concern obviously would be how big of a pool do i need for a shark? A lot of the fish stores that i talked to didn't know anything about them and just said that they think its a bad idea to keep sharks because they get to big. I understand that but i still want to do this. If anyone has any info or experience with sharks please give me any insight you have. Also what kind of equipment would i need?

Thanks in advance,

Nick

I hate to say this, but your LFS look to be very good, in this respect. Sharks are better left in the ocean. That being said, think Olympic sized swimming pool or more for an active shark. There are sharks that are less active and would not require quite so much space. The New Orleans Aquarium had an exhibut that, if my memmory serves me right, was about 20'x15'x10' that they kept several sharks in. I am not even thinking about filtration for those messy eaters, or temp control, etc.

Leave the sharks in the ocean or to the Public Aquariums. Just my opinion...

Okay, I respect your opinion. I also agree that a nurse shark would need less space than a black tip, but i have seen it done before in something smaller than a olympic size swimming pool. I've heard of people keeping a nurse shark in a 500gl tank. This pool/pond would be much bigger than 500gl. I would guess it would be around 1500-2000gl.

Aquarium Sharks & Rays: An Essential Guide to Their Selection, Keeping, and Natural History by Martin A., Jr. Moe, Scott W. Michael, Laura Williams, and Kelvin Aitken (Hardcover - Feb 1, 2003)

This book has some basic data. It might be a place to start. I have this book and it talked me out of the idea of getting a shark.

Just because it's been done, doesn't make it right. A pool 10' in diameter and 4' deep is roughly 2400 gallons. Does that sound big enough for a Black Tip? Nurse sharks get downright huge. The book sounds like a good resource. I would start there.

Good luck with it.

The book has some charts that list species and minimum tank sizes. I have it packed away right now. I think it had a little data on black tip reef sharks and their care.

I've seen a nurse that seemed unhappy in a cylinder tank, that was 15,000 gallons. It was a large shark, but even the small ones will eventually attain that. Try a smaller species, maybe raise a cat shark from an egg.

-Josh-:cool:

"I'm not afraid to admit when i'm wrong"
I am think you are wrong. Sharks are better left in the ocean
Take care

Well i have been talked out of doing a black tip or a bonnet or a nurse thank you to everyone, but i think i will do a either a cat shark or a brown banded bamboo shark. They don't get that big and are not continuos swimmers. I think i will do them. The main reason that i got the idea was that there is a fish store in chicago (living sea aquariums/www.livingseaaquarium.com) that has a shark lagoon in it right when you walk in. I thought it looked cool and i didn't think those sharks looked to unhappy.

Last edited:
I apologize. I didn’t have the intention to insult you or do anything that makes your feel sad or unhappy. I am sorry very much. I was wrong...
And YES, it is GOOD and wonderful to have ideas…
Probably I am a little sensitive about this topic. It is sad to see those beautiful animals live (or dying) in a little container.
Jose

Thats Cool! I here ya man. Sorry i flipped out man. I'm cool if your cool. Have A Good Weekend Jose.

I'm gonna fix my post now! and i look forward to talking to you on here!

Nick

Back