Sharkwater premiere (link to announcement)

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

How'd you get lucky enough to already see it, since it premiers tomorrow? Was it in theaters? Sounds like something you'd wanna watch at an Imax!! Trailer looks a bit interesting.

It's the TV premiere...yes, it was in the theaters, and is probably out on DVD too

i love shark week as much as the next guy but they get a bad rep, they are not the giant man eating monsters people think they are. its refreshing to see someone who wants to show them for the amazing creatures they are

i love shark week as much as the next guy but they get a bad rep, they are not the giant man eating monsters people think they are. its refreshing to see someone who wants to show them for the amazing creatures they are

I find Shark Week a bit too sensationalist for my taste ("Ultimate Extreme Killing Machines", etc) but agree that anything that raises awareness about the dire plight facing these creatures is probably worthwhile

Thank you for the heads up on this. We caught it on the DVR and WOW!!! Eye opening, shocking, gut wrenching. It's sickening what has been going on in this world for so long. Such amazing creatures that we destroy for $$$. We had no idea. He is one hell of an individual to take it on like he did.

Thank you for the heads up on this. We caught it on the DVR and WOW!!! Eye opening, shocking, gut wrenching. It's sickening what has been going on in this world for so long. Such amazing creatures that we destroy for $$$. We had no idea. He is one hell of an individual to take it on like he did.

If you liked Sharkwater you'll like The Cove too (if you haven't seen it already). I think Sea Shepherds is one of the env'tal organizations most worthy of our support.

If you liked Sharkwater you'll like The Cove too (if you haven't seen it already). I think Sea Shepherds is one of the env'tal organizations most worthy of our support.

I refuse to support someone who's sights are set on ending our hobby, based on factually incorrect statistics, outright lies and sensationalized false information. As an example, he claims that 99% of Aquarium fish die, within their first year of captivity. He targets Hawaii, which has the most regulated stewardship program in existence. "Snorkel Bob" who's "facts" are used, is more interested in making money, through his tourism companies, than saving our reefs. Otherwise, his tourism companies wouldn't be allowing tourists to walk on reefs, throughout Hawaii, doing considerable damage to those reefs.

Here's what's on his agenda, using totally false information, provided by "Snorkel Bob," who does more to hurt our hobby AND the reef environment, that our hobby could ever do.

http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/editorial-100821-1.html

Here's another great link, for more information on the Sea Shepherd and their illegal activity, along with how they are working at destroying our hobby. I'd suggest everyone read through this entire thread, on RC, to get some of the actual facts, about Sea Shepherd, Whaling laws vs. Whaling "agreements," and reef habitat environmental issues, created by Snorkel Bob.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1900429

His form of eco-terrorism is nothing more than sensationalized piracy. He's admitted to ramming and sinking as many as 10 ships, that were legally whale hunting. As much as we may disagree with whale hunting, it's being done legally, and Sea Shepherds actions amount to nothing more than piracy and terrorism.

I will say that the show "Whale Wars," has at least brought the issue to the forefront of America, through media. This is a good thing, but there are more legal ways of doing so.

Last edited:
" As an example, he claims that 99% of Aquarium fish die, within their first year of captivity"

Wouldn't surprise me. Keep in mind, the educated and determined reefers are not in the majority. Most fish sold are similar to Dad getting a pretty "Nemo" for their daughter and put it in a brand new nano to die quickly.

For many decades in this hobby, keeping a fish alive 6 months or a coral 3 months was quite an accomplishment

" As an example, he claims that 99% of Aquarium fish die, within their first year of captivity"

For many decades in this hobby, keeping a fish alive 6 months or a coral 3 months was quite an accomplishment

Mike I have to agree with that, but only as it was in the past,,,,, decades ago.

Mike I have to agree with that, but only as it was in the past,,,,, decades ago.

Yep but for doing the numbers, perhaps including historical figures could be useful.
I have no idea of what the current percentage is or even what % dies during capture/holding/shipping.

Petco and customers must lose a pretty high number. The survival rate at LFS and customers is much higher, but I often wonder what percentage is sold at these good shops we frequent in lieu of the average pet stores across america. Anthony Calfo once calculated the survival rate for chocolate chip starfish making it into a shop ready for sale; was less than 50% and they are pretty tough...

Yes sensationalizing anything becomes politics (or religion). This cuts both ways...

I'd agree that was probably an accurate statistic, many years ago. However, Snorkel Bob and the Sea Shepherd nutjobs aren't using it as a statistic from the past. They're using it as if it were currently the "norm." This is just one example of the many falsehoods that they are perpetuating, as a way of doing away with our hobby.

Agree with all, but need to keep in mind that their chances of ending reef-keeping hobby isn't even close to their chance of ending Japan's killing of whales and even that is about zero. Where there is profit and demand, there is an industry. Nobody is going to keep fishies out of our tanks...

Back