Sherman Tank 120

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Finally, fish! I added 4 lyretail anthias today. They've spent the last few hours cruising around the tank, finding all the hiding spots, and that fun stuff. They've all eaten, and everything just seems to be going nicely so far. Here's a shot of the male and one of the 3 females.

anthias.jpg

I also acquired a RBTA from a split. I've been extremely lucky with the maturity of the tank so far, which is the only reason I even considered adding an anemone so early. Remember, half this rock came from an eight year old display, and another quarter came from my three year old display. I'll be keeping a close eye on this guy. Right now, he's hiding in the shadows, healing back up, but he is opening up nice and wide. I'll get pictures once he comes out into a photographable (is that a word?) location.

Finally, yesterday's frag swap also allowed me to clear out the sandbed that was filled with frags, FINALLY. There are only a couple left now. It seemed time to shoot another full tank shot.

fts_20071007.jpg

ohh my goodness Jason !!
the tank looks awesome :D .
are you planning on adding more rock?
the fishes are really cute dood .

These anthias are a kick! I understand now why they're such high metabolism fish. You'd be high metabolism too, if you were darting around all the time like they are. Constantly moving and in a much more than casual drifting on the currents.

BCT182: Thanks, it's sort of my baby. I grew it from an encrusting blob the size of a nickel, three years ago. I also just put a frag of a blue one just above and to the right of it, hoping they'll sort of "stair step" out over each other into the open. I also put a rose one just behind that. I'm hoping to have a millepora table forest over there someday. In a few years I'll come back to this post and see what happened. :)

Luis, thank you. That background worked out really nicely with the metal halide dappling. Now that I finally have fish, the rock work is a lot more fun. The anthias are popping in and out all over the place. I wish I could play in those tunnels and caves.

Gabs, dood, I'm still upset you didn't visit me in California. You even drove right by, no doubt. Did you use freeway 99 or 5 to make your north/south trek? I live literally within ear shot of the 99. But seriously, I won't be adding any more rock. One of the things I learned from the 38g is that corals grow, and need space, so you need to plan for that early. The rock work seems light now, and corals are sparse, but they'll all fill in within a couple years, or so.

Brady, thanks. Definitely less coralline than yours, eh? :D

Krish, definitely! It's so nice to step up from a 38g little "bowl" to a full 120 gallons of an actual environment, where there's already so much more happening than I ever saw in the 38. Just the fact that I now have different "regions" for both flow and lighting makes this tank capable of so much more diversity. I have to be careful not to see what that Visa can really do. :p

I've had lots of questions about the plumbing set up. I tried to keep everything extremely simple, and with as few restrictions as possible. I used flexible PVC whenever possible for a long sweep rather than an elbow. The lazy Wye on the return splits the return flow about 80/20 percent left/right. Both returns point straight down behind the rocks, so I don't use the return pump as part of the "flow" in the tank. I decided to utilize it to blow out detritus from behind the rock, and it seems to be working. I've tested with air bubbles injected at the pump so I could see flow patterns, and I can see the stream shooting straight down the back wall, and out of all the caves throughout the tank.

The UV filter is gravity fed, and a real small portion of the water also comes out the side of the UV Filter at about 50gph(used to have a wiper arm, but I removed it since I didn't have room, nor the interest in replacing all the seals since it had been sitting for 2 years). This seems to work pretty well for a refugium of 11g.

Anyway, here's a little schematic a friend drew up for me for those who have been asking.

plumbing-schematic-120.gif

Not a lot, no. I'm giving the biological filtration some time to catch up to the addition of the Anthias, then I'll be bringing in a copperband butterfly that's been on hold for me in a friend's tank ever since it came with the tank, last May. :)

When I picked up the Anthias, I (Mrs. Sherman actually deserves the blame) also found a tiny sailfin to be irresistible. Being so young with so much color, even at the LFS, it was decided he needed a new home. Since he's so small, he's in the 12g right now, but only for holding purposes while the tank matures, as mentioned above. The only problem I'm having is that he really has a thing for relocating zoanthid frags on the sandbed, instead of the rock, where I leave them. I'm hoping that's just nervous and hungry behavior. Time will tell. Anyway, here he is:

sailfan+after+acclimation.jpg

12g_fts_20071007.jpg

The Red Sea species is the z. desjardinii. This is the z. veliferum, the "Pacific Sailfin." They're not as ornate as the Red Sea sailfin, but they have larger sails, and are visually more peaceful to me. :)

Thanks Gabs... but dood, are you sure she has good taste? She picked ME once upon a time, also. :D

Thanks Gabs... but dood, are you sure she has good taste? She picked ME once upon a time, also.

LMAO!!!:lol: i don't know about you dood :shock::lol: j/k but fish wise she did good :lol::D

Well, tests show nitrates already dropped back down, so I figured it's time to bring home an old timer. We had a bit of a homecoming last night. When I purchased this setup, I agreed to take the copperband butterfly with it, as well. Luckily, a club member agreed to house the CBB until I was able to bring it back home. Who knew it would be 5 months!?

While in my friend's care, the CBB was taught to eat aptasia out of his hand. I watched last night, as my friend picked up a frag plug that had a single aptasia on it and held it out in the water in front of the CBB. The fish swam up, inspected the plug, then promptly removed the aptasia right out of his fingers.

He's already removed the only three aptasia I was able to find in my 120, and he hasn't been in there a day yet. He's also eating already, and seems to be getting along just fine with the Anthias.

cbb.jpg

cbb2.jpg

Back