Sherman Tank 120

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Thanks, everyone. This tank is really becoming something to enjoy watching.

Charlie, the sailfin still plays "little lost puppy" to the CBB, but he also bullies the foxface around some. They're almost like two siblings, both lower but equal on the totem pole, but the sailfin pushes the foxface around like a big brother.

Of course, all bets are off at feeding time. They're all great eaters. My typical feed technique it to place a frozen chunk of mysis in the powerhead intake and let the moving water thaw and disperse the shrimp. Now, I have to guard the chunk of food from the CBB with tongs, he's so aggressive about it. Next, all the fish go into a frenzy. The anthias look like little orange lightning bolts shooting around the reef. The widest part of the sailfin is most definitely his gut, he's such a porker. I'm hoping to catch a head-on photo of him sometime, so I can share.

And another FTS.

fts_20080124.jpg

Very nice looking tank. Very clean look with the way you did the aquascape and I really like the painted background and how it turned out for you.

Alex B.

Thank you, Alex. We just whipped right through February, so I guess I'd better get another FTS soon, huh?

You know, Febuary is the shortest month of them all. But a fts would be nice, indeed. :)

So you all remember the hitchhiker crab from Page 7 of this thread? I need him removed for sure now. Today, I found the remains of two of the anthias (one male, one female) inside his cavern. RIP, the first fish for this aquarium.

I'm going to try a little harder to stab him now, as well as look into puttying up his cavern and trapping him inside. Does anyone have any ideas or success with trapping a crab?

I used a tilted cup method like mentioned before, but you said he won't come out. Is there only one entrance/exit? Why not stuff it full of epoxy?
Sorry to hear of your loss BTW. I hate it when I lose a fish.

I trapped some troublesome emeralds by clipping some seaweed into a net and waited for them to make a run for it. When they ran in to grab some I lifted the net out. You might try something similar with some food clipped into a net at the crabs cave opening.. they get greedy if you give them some time.

When I netted my crabs I sat there for probably 2 hours to catch each one, but they eventually went at the net and it was easy to pull them out.

Good luck man, sorry about your lost fish.

Chris

So then, updates. I lost all four of the anthias. I'll probably never know why. They were all healthy and eating well just before they died. In one of the photos below, you can see all three females schooled up, behaving normally, just a couple days before they disappeared. I sent an email out to WetWebMedia, where Bob Fenner suggested something may be wrong in the food I was giving them. This is the same food every fish ate, so I don't know. I tried new food as a last resort to save the last two anthias, but they never touched it. This really upsets me, since the anthias were such a great color and activity addition to the reef. I'd like to try them again, but I'm a little gun shy now.

The aquarium has hit that 6 month cyano stage, so I'm just waiting it out, and keeping nutrients as low as possible. Hopefully, it clears by summer. It's a little frustrating to look at, and I begin to understand why the 6 month and 12 month stages are where a lot of people jump out of the hobby. I can wait it out, though. I just have to remember it's natural, and will go away. It's mostly all over the sand, and the bottom rocks.

I brought in a new tank mate, a powder blue tang. I watched him at the LFS for quite a while, because I was a little scared. PBTs are known for ich, and I don't have a proper quarantine tank for a fish like this, so I knew he'd make it directly into the display. He very readily ate at the LFS, and was in a holding tank only a foot away from the front door, so I know he was used to people traffic. His markings were perfect, so when he ate, I went for it. He's been in there about a week and a half now. He's already established his position in the pecking order, beating out the sailfin for #2, even! He's a good eater. Flakes, pellets, frozen, nori... he takes it all, so that's a blessing. And there hasn't been a single sign of any ich. :)

powderblue.jpg

A while back, I rented a fish eye lens for my camera for some live concert photography. While I had it, I snapped a couple shots of the tank, just for fun. They're nothing special, but they're entertaining to look at.

fisheye+tank.jpg

topdown_fisheye.jpg

And finally, I'm way overdue for that monthly FTS. Here's today. :D

fts_20080412.jpg

Back