Sherman Tank 120

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Looking great Jason! I love the updates. Sorry about your anthias. The same thing happened to my 2. They were always swimming around, great bright color, and eating like little pigs. One started laying on the sand bed in a corner and the next day it was gone. Then a few days to a week the remaining one went into a cave in the rock work and never came out. I looked with a flashlight a few hours later and it was dead. I tried to get it out but couldn't. I really love those fish and would love to be able to keep them long term.

One started laying on the sand bed in a corner and the next day it was gone. Then a few days to a week the remaining one went into a cave in the rock work and never came out.
Interesting, Luis. That's EXACTLY what my last two did. It makes you wonder if there's some sort of specific care item that we're all unaware of, that certain tanks have and others don't.

What were yours eating, specifically, do you remember? My tank is fed a frozen mash-up based around rinsed PE Mysis as the primary base. I added in some Cyclop-Eeze and Selcon for a more complete diet. Typically, I'll add in some Sweetwater Zooplankton as well, but my most recent batch didn't have any of that.

They ate Rod's food. I feed once twice occasionally a day. I think they need more frequent feedings. How many times did you feed a day? The weird thing though is that they were very plump.

Mine were all very fat and colored nicely. The male was even beginning to develop that mature hump behind his head, up top. I used to feed at least twice daily, sometimes more. I don't think it was a lack of feedings. You can see that one coming with skinny fish.

Time, once again, for updates. I'm winning the battle with cyano FINALLY. I was using a fish net to very carefully scoop the red slime off the sand every couple of days. This was effective at removing the red, I admit, but it always came back. Then I read that the red slime is actually the waste product of the bacteria, not the bacteria itself. Since then, I've just "sucked it up" (no pun intended) and started siphoning the sand, willing to lose some sand. In time, I'll just add more sand back to the tank. Since siphoning the sand, I've gone almost an entire week without seeing the horrible red. There are a couple hints of reddish tint in a couple places, but not blankets like it used to be. Now I'm seeing a little diatom growth on the sand, so that tells me this tank has had a bit of a cycle, and this is evidence of positive change for me.

I've also changed a few other things to combat this fight. I know the cyano is there because of excess nutrients. I feed almost 100% frozen food, thawed and dispersed by the Seio powerheads, so there's a lot of small food particles that never got eaten by the tangs and CBB. I added a flameback angel and more importantly, a half dozen tiny blue chromis. These eat up a lot of the small stuff that the larger fish leave behind. I've also increased the flow to my refugium from 50gph to 300gph. This seems to have knocked out the cyano that was growing on the chaeto.

The final change will be in my return plumbing. Running both Seio powerheads on the same side of the tank, I'm admitting 10 months later, isn't working out. I'm not willing to put a big ol' powerhead on the left side of this tank, so I'm going to change the return plumbing. Currently, I'm running a wye configuration to each side of the overflow. I'm going to change this to a single output on the left, with an eductor venturi nozzle for additional flow. My Mag12 puts out about 1000gph currently. With the plumbing change, and the eductor, I expect this to drop to maybe 800gph. However, the eductor is reported to increase flow 400%, so I hope to have somewhere around 3000gph shooting across the tank from the left side, to combat the powerheads on the right side. We'll see what happens.

So to additions. I added the flameback angel (centropyge acanthops), mentioned above. The LFS has had him in stock since February, so I was able to pick him up very cheap. He's a bit of a shy fish. Three weeks later, he's starting to wander a little further out of the caves and into the open. He's by far the brightest thing in the aquarium, and very difficult to capture with the camera. From what I've read, the flameback is also among the least likely to nip at corals. He's never given any coral or clam even a second look. I'm very pleased with the addition he's made to the reef.

I also added two other fish last night from a local reefer, who was tearing down his aquarium. Both are at least 4 year old fish, and extremely friendly. The pink spot watchman goby (cryptocentrus leptocephalus) is huge for a goby, approaching 5" long. He made his way into a cave last night, and has only poked his head out once during feeding today. I'll have to share a photo of him when he comes out.

The Blue Dot Puffer (canthigaster epilamprus) is a truly interesting fish. In his old home, he would occasionally nip at the tips of a couple SPS corals, so I'm aware of what I'm getting into. The truth of the matter is that these puffers need to do that to survive. Their choppers (teeth) grow constantly, so they rely on biting rocks and corals to keep them trimmed. If they don't, the teeth will grow longer than the fish's mouth opening, and it won't be able to eat. Obviously we don't want that. This particular fish has a history of mostly grazing on rocks, munching algae (even bubble algae!) and scraping his teeth on the rocks. He's an extremely fun fish already! The old owner had about 30 fish in his large tank, and claimed this puffer was, by far, his favorite!

Anyway, here's a couple pics of the new additions.

flameback+angel.jpg

puffer.jpg

Charlie, I'm still fighting the cyano... I just think I'm finally moving forward.

So 48 hours later, the puffer is definitely out. Come to find out, he has a real taste for clam mantle, and the previous owner didn't have any clams. I have a 7-8"" teardrop maxima that's worth a lot more to me than a cool looking puffer. In addition, this afternoon, I found at least 30-40 coral tips munched off. I went into this knowing he might crunch a coral or two, but 40 tips in one day from my big gold table millepora isn't going to work for me.

Charlie, I'm still fighting the cyano... I just think I'm finally moving forward.

So 48 hours later, the puffer is definitely out. Come to find out, he has a real taste for clam mantle, and the previous owner didn't have any clams. I have a 7-8"" teardrop maxima that's worth a lot more to me than a cool looking puffer. In addition, this afternoon, I found at least 30-40 coral tips munched off. I went into this knowing he might crunch a coral or two, but 40 tips in one day from my big gold table millepora isn't going to work for me.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH, bye bye fishy!!!!!

That stinks! Yea, toby's and clam's = no no. I've never had one pick on a sps though, thats a bummer. Tank looks great.

Wow

WOW . I thought goats were bad. Those fish are like super models, great to look at, but you can never have a home with them.

Sorry Sherman about the stress from those little buggers.
I feel bad about the fish not working out and your SPS and clam having been munched on, but I felt really, really bad when your small system crashed.

I been keeping an eye on your pictures for ever. You take some of the greatest pictures I have even seen.

Keep up the great work Hermano. (Brother)

Ouch! I've had valentini's and blue spot's with sps before with no problems. You win some you lose some in this hobby. Although it seems like losing is much easier : ) Atleast you caught him before he destroyed something though.

I'm making real progress on this cyano. I'm siphoning less than weekly now. Diatoms are definitely present, so this tank is still cycling with the bioload change caused by the removal of all that cyano. At the same time, I've also added some fish.

Anyway, here's the Red Spot Watchman Goby, as promised previously. In addition, a full tank shot, from tonight. Once again, every fish (count 'em, 7) managed to make it into this shot.

Oh, and as a side note, I've always thought I had a pistol shrimp in there somewhere. On occasion, I'd hear the tell tale clicking. Since adding the goby, it's been a lot more frequent, and a LOT LOUDER. I can hear it in the back of the house now. I'm guessing they found each other. :)

red+spot+goby.jpg

fts_20080807.jpg

Thanks, atavus. The photo was originally shot in RAW, so I was able to properly white balance it. This helped bring some of the actual colors of the corals out, rather than wash them in blue. In addition, there is always a significant amount of "magic" done in post processing. It may sound a bit... fake... but my intent is to reproduce the actual appearance of the tank to my eye, so I'll select individual areas and corals, and work them all out separately. Here, just for reference, and to prove how much is done after the fact, is the original photo as it came out of the camera. This is almost embarrassing, it's so flawed. I didn't even manage to get the whole tank in the shot!

Back