shield Limpets reef safe?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

SeaMonster

just picked up a couple from hood canal. they were living in fairly warm water or just out of the water on low tide. anyone know whether they are reef safe?

PSsnail.jpg

i wouldn't worry , however their is a little known secret you should be made aware of.....

.....limpets secrete a chemical in their slime trail that acts like a fertilizer for algea. it clings to the rocks ,so anything they eat is juat going to grow back bigger getter stronger

wow, thanks for letting me know.

what about micro hermit crabs from the puget sound? I saw thousands of them in 6" of water. they look just like micro blue leg crabs but a boring brown color.

Just about anything you take from the water's around your area won't last long in a reef tank. Problems is the temperatures. You live in a temperate or cold ocean area. Animals there won't take the heat of our reef tanks well and will soon perish. It'd be a shame to remove them from their natural habitat just to put them in a habitat they aren't suited for. you also run a huge risk of introducing any number of diseases or pollutants into your tank.

Back