Shipping corals

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Mopar Reefer

I need a cheaper hobby!
Going to be taking down my tank in the near future and I want to be prepared for the "will you ship" questions. How do people ship, I assume double bags with heat packs, but USPS? UPS? Ziplocks? I want to know what has been your s/h experience, good bad etc...thanks in advance!

mini coolers I would hit up the locat stores when there shipments come in I am not sure if they have to return the boxes but if not hit them up. I would triple bag the corals and sps need more water then zoas and lps. not really needed for heaters since it is nice and warm now. but thats up to you.

Use the long bags like you get from the lfs. fill 1/3 full of water the rest with air, do not blow into the bag use an air pump. I've gottin corals shiped to me usps 3 days latter and all was fine packed in a box with lots of news paper for packing. This was last week and no heat pack in the box. The news papers were unfolded just like the nickle ads just right off the rack. So shipping here in the state with usps should be fine with good packing and use two bags.

My last frag pack was was shipped from Kansas City and arrived in perfect condition. Each SPS frag was mounted on a plug and labeled. Each plug was tied to a piece of styrofoam with a rubber band and then each piece was double bagged. Several bags were then placed in a large ziplock. Finally, everything was placed in a foam lined box with a heat pack and shipped FedEx overnight w/Saturday delivery. Frankly, if it were me I'd insist on FedEx overnight with buyer paying all shipping costs and delivery signature required to ensure that the frag pack doesn't sit on the porch all day. You'll avoid a lot of "all the frags are dead" emails that way.

Good luck,
Mike

I agree with FedEx overnight we have had good luck with it. The "delivery signature required" part doesn't always help out because our UPS and FedEx people sometimes don't even ring the doorbell less likely get a signature.

I agree with FedEx overnight we have had good luck with it. The "delivery signature required" part doesn't always help out because our UPS and FedEx people sometimes don't even ring the doorbell less likely get a signature.

I've had the same experience, with Fed Ex and USPS. Signature required, I was home, they didn't knock or anything. Both times, I happened to look out the window, since I was anxiously awaiting delivery, and saw the delivery person walking away. Boxes were sitting on my porch.

However, I still think Fed Ex is probably the best route to go.

I've shipped and received dozens of packages using USPS Express and Priority shipping as far away as New York and Florida. I like their price and reliability has been great. In my case they have been 100% reliable. I'm sure many can tell you a horror story using any of the shipping companies. Bottom line, human error happens.

if you need styro boxes pm me i have some, fed ex is the best way to go, ive been shipped stuff via USPS and the box came soggy with holes in it LOL.

Back