should DT live Phyto smell this bad?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BEELZEBOB

my DT's phyto looks ok, but i smelled it last night, and by god does this crap stink! is it supposed to smell this funky?

i had never thought to smell it before

You're supposed to shake it every couple of days. Fresh phyto always has a smell. However, if it's a real bad smell, throw it out.

Yes, it's supposed to smell bad. You know... I've helped Dennis with trades shows and such and trying to convince people that something good is supposed to smell that bad isn't always easy.

Yea, i think ill throw it out.

i've had it for about 3 weeks, but who knows how long it sat at the LFS.

yea curt! fellow mantis keeper!

what type of mantis do you have?

The air above DT's in the bottle will smell really bad. Its supposed to. Seperate some of the liquid in another container (the cap) away from the air in the bottle and smell it. If that smells, then it has gone bad. Like mentioned above...its critical to shake the bottle every few days.

Mine smells bad too. I keep it in the fridge and shake it twice a week or more. But who knows if the LFS ever shook it...

I have been told if it doesn't smell like a freshly mowed lawn it is not good. I have had my share of bad bottles but lately they have been much better.

Back