Should I be concerned with the construction of the store bought tank stands

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

realranger

I just looked at an Aqueon stand that is for a 180 tank. To be honest, I am scared to death of putting a 180 on it. If I am concerned where I shouldn't I would like to hear it. Does anyone have any experience with a wood worker that will build a nice stand and yet keep it within a reasonable budget.

talk to Trido I know he does wood work.

i know what you mean I had my 100 gal on 1x4's lol it held it like a champ I was scared it was going to fall one day.

but trido was going to build my stand until I went a different way with my set up.

if the stand is from Aqueon and made for your tanks size, then you should be fine. 99% of us who build our own stands overbuild our them.

I had one of those stand for a 120. It did just fine but it is a bit scary at how cheap they are built. IMO I wouldn't waste my money on those cheap stands ever again as you can build a nicer looking one for half the cost and over build it a bit for extra insurance and peace of mind.

structurally the stands are fine otherwise they wouldn't sell them. Now, once they get wet it is a completely different issue. All that said, I had a cheap particle board stand for my 75 that got wet repeatedly, swelled and still held just fine. I wasn't all that comfortable with it in the end and built my own stand for my new tank, but it held.

We do overbuild when we build our own stands, but part of that is because the wood price isn't that different for the piece of mind. Further, finding a straight 1x2 or 2x2 is all but impossible plus once it completely dries it won't be straight. Many on here that have good skills have built plywood stands that have no real internal structure and that works great if you have the skills. Many have pointed this out in the past, but I will again.....your house is built on 2x4's....and it holds all the weight inside it plus that roof. We often use 4x4's for our stands.....gross overkill.

structurally the stands are fine otherwise they wouldn't sell them. Now, once they get wet it is a completely different issue...your house is built on 2x4's....and it holds all the weight inside it plus that roof. We often use 4x4's for our stands...
I don't trust wimpy 4x4s, prefer 4x16 glue-lam construction :>)

My 72 bow front is on factory stand as is my 54 corner. Each are basically 1x4 paperboard that has become wet many times. Yes, Amazingly cheap.

Have meant to reinforse it a bit with some 1x4 hardwood or at least poplar/pine/fir for peace of mind. Not sure how it would do in an earthquake...

Last edited:
The manufactured stands do look wimpy, but are just fine. Another issue, if this is a new tank, putting it on a stand, other than the manufacturer's stand, usually voids the warranty. Sometimes it doesn't void the warranty, but limits it. For instance, Marineland Deep Dimension tanks come with a lifetime warranty, IF you use their stands. If you use any other stand, the warranty is only 1 year.

180 stand

I have a used AGA 180 stand in black pine in the corner of my garage...

I bought some 2X4 to bulk it up before finding a tall homemade stand.

The Custom Stands Iv'e seen come into ARSA and Barrier Reef are well built and cost the same as any I could build in my garage.The added bonus is that they are built in a cabinet shop and varnished at a varnish shop. NOT my dusty cold garage.

Heck, I was concerned with my floor when I got my 210. I doubled up all the joists under the tank. I think for the first year I had it I would wake up at night to some noise and go downstairs to check things out.

I don't trust wimpy 4x4s, prefer 4x16 glue-lam construction :>)

My 72 bow front is on factory stand as is my 54 corner. Each are basically 1x4 paperboard that has become wet many times. Yes, Amazingly cheap.

Have meant to reinforse it a bit with some 1x4 hardwood or at least poplar/pine/fir for peace of mind. Not sure how it would do in an earthquake...

The earthquake thing for me is real and that is why I decided to build a stand

Back