Should I put another brace on this sump?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Bosco83

I just picked up this sump and I patched two holes in it that were for external pumps. So I was water testing it and it seems to flex a lot and I just wanted to know if this is acceptable? I was thinking I could put another brace right in the middle of where it is flexing most.

I am also going to cut the baffles out and put some new ones in any ideas? I was just thinking of keeping it simple so it would just be a larger version of the one I have. Here is a picture of the style that I did on Melvesreef the 2nd design.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/index.html
Thanks,
Brian

026-1.jpg

022.jpg

Kind of scary looking without the center braced even with out water in it. Before putting it in use I would add more bracing, looks alot better when you are holding it, better safe than sorry.

Maybe that area would be a good place to put a over and under bubble trap.
One baffle that goes almost to the top, that is 1-1/2" or so off the bottom and a shorter one next to it, that touches the bottom. I used a couple pieces of 2x4's ( 1-1/2" ) for spacing between my sump baffles.

Maybe that area would be a good place to put a over and under bubble trap.
One baffle that goes almost to the top, that is 1-1/2" or so off the bottom and a shorter one next to it, that touches the bottom. I used a couple pieces of 2x4's ( 1-1/2" ) for spacing between my sump baffles.

This would stiffen it up IMO also.
This deflection isn't as bad as it looks IMO again, acrylic can bend a good bit, it just needs more support as you have planned. If you trust your acrylic welds on the patches you made I don't see why this would be any different.
Again, JMO, you can shoot some of the acrylic tank builders here & see what hey say.

Just add a brace on the top will help a lot. But one vertical almost half the height of the sump will do great.

Thanks for the input everyone! I am going to put all my baffles in and then maybe add a brace in the weakest point. I already have everything so not much to lose but a little tinkering time. I think it will be fine when I am all done and I will post some more pictures.

Oh yea and now everyone has my wife all worried she really hates it when I get water on the floor.:D

Wifes are funny that way, Its just a few gallons of water. But if you work it right you can get a new shop vac.:)

Baffle height?

This is the sump I'm going to make the second picture down.
http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/glass/index.html

So I am trying to decide how tall I should make my baffles. I was thinking maybe 12 inches tall and the just putting my skimmer on a stand to meet it's requirements. This should still leave enough room for when the return pump is shut off and would give me maximum water volume? Is there any reason I shouldn't make them this tall?

Thanks,
Brian

Just make sure you have height available in your stand so that you can still remove the skimmer cup when it is sitting up on the stand.

So I am finished with my sump I am happy with how it turned out I think it will be perfect. Here are some new pictures with baffles and brace.

003-2.jpg

002-3.jpg

That turned pretty good. I'm thinking about building a bigger sump for my 75 gal. How do you determine the size refuge area for a tank size????? Anybody?

Back