Should I replace my T5s with LEDs?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Interesting. I have enough surface agitation that I shouldn't have an issue.

I guess I will want the "blue" version. off to search for the best deal online!

How sure are you that 2 units wouldn't fry my coral to a crisp?

They are MAP pricing but that excludes "take x % of your order" type sales. So far I've found them for 10% off. :)

Considering since you are getting the controller (You are right...) then positive....cause your can control it all the way down to 1% )well technically off but then whats the point. LOL

Just remember to start very low. If it looks similar to your current lighting then it is too bright. And acclimate from there increasing every 1-2 weeks.

30 long, 15 deep and 21 inches tall. Its just a tad over 40 gallons.

I've been googling LED lighting like crazy (instead of working!) and these do seem to be well reviewed, but also like some of the priciest out there. I decided a while back that I am done buying cheap bandaid type products and will spend the money as long as it will really do what I need it to. From youtube it looks like the LEDs have a more "flat look" to them if that makes sense- my MH give me a pretty cool shimmering look. Is that your experience as well?

Evolution Leds, One unit pre three foot of tank.LED Lighting : REEFKOI CORALS, SPS, LPS, Zoanthids A 40gal would only need 1 unit, and you could use a 50w or a 100w and have plenty of light. The only thing is you hae to start the lights high above your tank and slowly lower them to acclimate your corals. You are looking at $219 for the 50w and $299 for the 100w 3G. I have 2-100w 3G 14k units over my 70g, love them. The color is great, price is good, but do your own research and make your own choice that suits you best.

So is the AISOL going to be supplemental lighting? Just wondering why you went with the all blue AI modules? Are you supplementing your white light with something. Because the Sol Blue only has the Cree Blue and Cree Royal Blue LED chips. With that being said there will be enough par value, but the tank will look like a black light let tank.

So is the AISOL going to be supplemental lighting? Just wondering why you went with the all blue AI modules? Are you supplementing your white light with something. Because the Sol Blue only has the Cree Blue and Cree Royal Blue LED chips. With that being said there will be enough par value, but the tank will look like a black light let tank.

SOL blues aren't all blue. They are like 20K's

Hmmm now I see. I should probably read a little close before I ask questions. I was looking at the write up and it said that they use the royal blue and blue led's. I was assuming that thay ONLY used the blue LED's

How sure are you that 2 units wouldn't fry my coral to a crisp?

They are MAP pricing but that excludes "take x % of your order" type sales. So far I've found them for 10% off. :)

I have been looking into these but have only found 3% off, what company did you find the 10% off at?

Sandra,

Its still way cheaper to do it DIY. If you are not HANDY, then I can help you with that. Its still cheaper if you go DIY. also its customized to your needs.

FLAT???

im not sure if you can say it flat. It really depends on how you define flat.

Here is a comparison...

T5...

LED

Hope this helps...

Also in you tank configuration. You will need between 24-36 LEDs. Estimate it at $10/led, that will be $240-$360... that estimate includes everything except the controller. Maybe less, since the prices have gone down since my last build in January.

Back