Should I set up a quarantine tank?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

carlos_fb

Caribe Piranha
I have a 60 gallon tank that I'm currently cycling and I was wondering if I should get a quarantine tank for my future fishes before I actually introduce them in my main tank once it's been cycled. If so, what exactly I'm going to need to set it up. :confused:

I recommend it! I use a 20g long tank (extra swimming room), a HOB filter (like ones common in fresh water), 2 PVC T-fittings, a heater, thermostat, and a refractometer for measuring specific gravity (if you choose to use hyposalinity.)

Edit: I also keep a bag of bio-filter media in my sump, so when it's time to quarantine a new arrival, I have a head start on bio filtration.

i agree a quarantine is always good :) you can check your corals or fishes for any hitchikers that they might have or sickness :).
i don't have one but i should to :p.

I learned the hard way after losing several fish to Ich. I always QT. My set up is a 10 gal. It will soon be a 29 gallon because there's more room and because I happen to have one lying around. You don't really even need lighting. As mentioned above, a HOB powerfilter, a couple PVC fittings for fish to hide in (it'll make them feel more comfortable), and you're set. You can even run a small HOB powerfilter in your main tank's sump, if you have one. That'll get a good population of bacteria growing on it.

I keep live rubble rock in my QT tank because I also use it as a POD grow out tank. It's also full of Chaeto. Although, that'll change when I get the 29 set up. The 29 will be strictly a QT tank and the 10 will be strictly a Pod and Chaeto tank.

Back