Should I switch to white argonite sand?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mcdonaldjosh7

Coral!!!!
So yeah, I have crushed coral right now, which is pretty large pieces...would there be any advantages to switching to it?

Changing out all my substrate! So much work :p Thats pretty much the easiest way to describe the 'behind-the-scenes' of reef tanks, eh?

I would like to hear this as well. We have crushed coral over a sugar sand base. Luckily we will hopefully be changing out tanks in a few months and can switch at that point but I still want to hear the advantages. Maybe we should change before the tank swap???

I would like to hear this as well. We have crushed coral over a sugar sand base. Luckily we will hopefully be changing out tanks in a few months and can switch at that point but I still want to hear the advantages. Maybe we should change before the tank swap???

I have the same thing going on, super fine sand with some crushed coral. I am setting up a new tank now, so I am going to grab some different stuff when I do the change over.

Okay, it's morning, I think.... I'm at my keyboard and can respond better.

Let's start with a couple of myths, about our substrate.

pH. Most believe that our substrates help buffer pH and that crushed coral does a better job of this, than aragonite sand. The reality is, neither help to buffer the pH of our tanks. The reason for this is, that our tank pH never drops low enough to start to dissolve aragonite sand or crushed coral. Our pH would have to drop to a level that would be fatal to our tank inhabitants, before either substrates would buffer the pH.

Now, let's talk about denitrification.

Denitrification takes place in an anaerobic environment. (low or no oxygen)

Both substrates can create an anaerobic environment, however, the difference is in the depth. The larger particles, of Crushed Coral, allow more "flow" between particles. Because of this, a substrate of Crushed Coral would need to be 4"-6" deep, in order to provide an anaerobic environment, in the lower 1"-2". If a crushed coral substrate isn't this deep, no anaerobic environment occurs.

With aragonite sand, being a finer particle size, a more shallow substrate will result in an anaerobic environment.

Now let's talk about detritus and Nitrate.

Crushed coral, because of the nature of the sizes of particles, traps detritus in itself. The detritus is able to get trapped between the larger particles, and actually make it's way, partially into the substrate. Down there, it's trapped, and decomposes. We all know, anything in our tanks, that decomposes, adds to nitrate problems.

The finer particle size of sand, refuses to allow detritus to get past the top layer, so fine sand is much less likely to trap detritus.

This is why crushed coral substrates are often referred to as "Nitrate Factories."

Now, all of this being said, there are times when some crushed coral will be needed. If you have burrowing animals, such as Pistol Shrimp, Jaw Fish, etc., they will need larger particles of substrate, in order to build their homes. For this reason, it's sometimes good to place a small handful of crushed coral, in an area of the tank. The animals will use these larger particles, to build their homes.

Well put!
If your thinking about removing the CC while the tank is running you can siphon it through a filter sock. Take a look at the bucket in my gallery. Cheap to make and removes sand and CC without having to tear down the tank.

Don

I have that stand in mine and it looks fantastic! Very easy to siphon too.

Okay, it's morning, I think.... I'm at my keyboard and can respond better.

Let's start with a couple of myths, about our substrate.

pH. Most believe that our substrates help buffer pH and that crushed coral does a better job of this, than aragonite sand. The reality is, neither help to buffer the pH of our tanks. The reason for this is, that our tank pH never drops low enough to start to dissolve aragonite sand or crushed coral. Our pH would have to drop to a level that would be fatal to our tank inhabitants, before either substrates would buffer the pH.

Now, let's talk about denitrification.

Denitrification takes place in an anaerobic environment. (low or no oxygen)

Both substrates can create an anaerobic environment, however, the difference is in the depth. The larger particles, of Crushed Coral, allow more "flow" between particles. Because of this, a substrate of Crushed Coral would need to be 4"-6" deep, in order to provide an anaerobic environment, in the lower 1"-2". If a crushed coral substrate isn't this deep, no anaerobic environment occurs.

With aragonite sand, being a finer particle size, a more shallow substrate will result in an anaerobic environment.

Now let's talk about detritus and Nitrate.

Crushed coral, because of the nature of the sizes of particles, traps detritus in itself. The detritus is able to get trapped between the larger particles, and actually make it's way, partially into the substrate. Down there, it's trapped, and decomposes. We all know, anything in our tanks, that decomposes, adds to nitrate problems.

The finer particle size of sand, refuses to allow detritus to get past the top layer, so fine sand is much less likely to trap detritus.

This is why crushed coral substrates are often referred to as "Nitrate Factories."

Now, all of this being said, there are times when some crushed coral will be needed. If you have burrowing animals, such as Pistol Shrimp, Jaw Fish, etc., they will need larger particles of substrate, in order to build their homes. For this reason, it's sometimes good to place a small handful of crushed coral, in an area of the tank. The animals will use these larger particles, to build their homes.

Very nice post Sid! That post in itself should be a sticky :)

On a side note, I ran a tank with crushed corals and I had to clean that thing thoroughly to keep waste down. Became so much of a chore that switched to a finer grained sand and it was much easier to maintain. Nontheless, bare bottom is my favorite! :D

Whoa Krish! I didn't know you had joined the RF team again! Welcome back!

Very nice post Sid! That post in itself should be a sticky :)

On a side note, I ran a tank with crushed corals and I had to clean that thing thoroughly to keep waste down. Became so much of a chore that switched to a finer grained sand and it was much easier to maintain. Nontheless, bare bottom is my favorite! :D

:lol: If I remeber correctly this topic was your first 7000 posts when you first came to RF with crushed coral issues.:)

Don

Back