Should I upgrade my lights?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fishysteve

I have a 120 with two 150 watt 10000K HQIs, 192 watts of PC, and 56 watts of T5s. My SPS have great color and growth, but for the depth of my tank it seems like I should be running 250 watt halides. Or should I just leave well enough alone?

If its doing well, leave it alone. Use the money you would of spent on upgrading to buy super high quality (par/cri) bulbs and let those babies grow.
Just my opinion though.

Welcome to the site Steve. Since your corals are doing fine, that says a lot. I prefer 250s in you situation, but it an economics question too. If you can afford the 250s, I think you will love them. We would love some pictures if you get a chance:)

I have a 120 with two 150 watt 10000K HQIs, 192 watts of PC, and 56 watts of T5s. My SPS have great color and growth, but for the depth of my tank it seems like I should be running 250 watt halides. Or should I just leave well enough alone?

What's the depth of your 120 --18" or 24"? 18" I'd say your fine. 24" your probably OK, but wou'dn't hurt to bump the MH's up to 250s.

wow - didn't even check out your photo gallery till just now. I have to say, I love that gorgonian smack dab in the front middle (i assume thats a gorgonian). Does it flow and move pretty well with the current. I see you have some nice flow in there too.

Copy_of_DSCN1563.JPG

I may have to borrow that gorgonian Idea for my tank. :D

Yeah, it sways pretty nicely in there. I believe it is a purple gorgonian. I got it a few weeks ago, and when I got it home it had a basket star on it. I hope I can keep it alive. I've been adding a little extra rotifers and cyclopeeze.

yeah, but back to your lighting question.. Since I see you have a clam in there at the bottom, you're actually probably OK w/ the 150s as long as you've had him in there for a while and he seems to be doing fine. Those guys need a lot of light, so he can be your barameter.

I have 250's on mine with 18" depth (I know, overkill), but I like the higher intensity light b/c i can use a bluer par bulb (ie. 12k or 14k) and still get some pretty good light penetration.

Yeah, it sways pretty nicely in there. I believe it is a purple gorgonian. I got it a few weeks ago, and when I got it home it had a basket star on it. I hope I can keep it alive. I've been adding a little extra rotifers and cyclopeeze.

Those basket stars are totally rad. I saw my first one about a month ago at a LFS out here. I thought after 9 yrs I had seen it all till I saw one of those. good luck with it! I've heard they have green and orange colored basket stars, which did you end up with?

Copy_of_DSCN1582.JPG
First, the derasa clam on the bottom, I've had for about three years and it has doubled in size. The crocea up on the rocks, I've had for about two years, and has also almost doubled. The basket star I got is purple / lavendar.

Last edited:
I have a 120g too and think you'd love the 250's. I have never tried any other wattage lights over my tank besides the 250's. The derasa clam is a lower lighting needy clam so being on the sand bed is where it should be the happiest, the crocea sounds like it's doing good. If you do the upgrade I really think you'd like what your sps and clam will do for you.

Copy_of_DSCN1582.JPG
First, the derasa clam on the bottom, I've had for about three years and it has doubled in size. The crocea up on the rocks, I've had for about two years, and has also almost doubled. The basket star I got is purple / lavendar.

wow - purple & lavander colored. Sweet, didn't even know those existed. well good luck w him and good luck with your new lights if you decide to go that route.

What kind of reflectors do all your bulbs have? If all you have is a metal plate above the bulbs a reflector upgrade could make a huge difference without costing very much more.

It sounds like your lighting is fine from what you have described I wouldn't change anything.

Heck with all those lights I'd leave well enough alone, your tank looks awesome! In time I'd scrap the PC's one day & either add T5s with individual reflectors or bump the 150's up like you said but for sure if everything is working well, leave it until you have to replace a ballast or something goes out.

The HQI bulbs are in Coralife pendants, but they are Ushio bulbs. The Current PCs are in a Coralife fixture with 5 built in moon lights. And the T5s are also in a double Coralife fixture. I used to work at my local fish store and we sold Coralife stuff, so I got it all at cost. However, I'm not too fond of their bulbs so I went another route with those.

Back