Show me your carpet!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aquarookie

Pure Poison :)
I don't know if this thread should be here or in the pictures forum, but here you go, this is my "baby" :D

By the way, other anemones are welcome here (Carpets just happen to be my favorite) :).

Ha ha Mike, I just KNEW that somebody would do that! I guess it might as well be you :lol:

NEWFISHTANKPICSCARPET.jpg

ask and they shal recieve pic of eleacarpetia

Julia, how long have you had that blue carpet? Tell me how you care for it. I've seen such generally miserable success with the blues, I'd love to hear a success story. When you posted the pics of your 54 when it was a reef, then the 125, the first thing I looked for was the carpet, wondering if it made it. I didn't see it, but hopefully I just didn't look hard enough.

Julia, how long have you had that blue carpet? Tell me how you care for it. I've seen such generally miserable success with the blues, I'd love to hear a success story. When you posted the pics of your 54 when it was a reef, then the 125, the first thing I looked for was the carpet, wondering if it made it. I didn't see it, but hopefully I just didn't look hard enough.

I'll tell you how I take care of the carpet (just don't throw rocks at me afterwards).

First, I made sure the store owner who sold it to me tore the living daylights out of its foot. Then I drove home, which took 2 hours in traffic. Then I stuck it in a 10 gallon tank with a 13 watt NO light for a couple of weeks.

Then I stuck it into a newly set up tank, with "cycled" live rock but everything else brand new. Then I left the country for a couple of weeks. Then I neglected to see that the tank temperature dropped to 64 degrees with no light, flow or anything, and that lasted about a week. Then I let things die off in the tank without doing water changes or anything.

A while later, when I had good lighting, a heater, circulation etc, I dropped a cup full of salt directly onto the anemone which was located on top of all the live rock. Burnt the heck out of it. As soon as it recovered and moved "downstairs" into the sand, I decided to rearrange my live rock and dropped a large galaxia (upside down) onto my anemone. Of course it sat like that for a few minutes before I noticed anything. Burnt again (both the nem and the galaxia).

When things got back to normal, my HOB overflow decided to malfunction and flooded the house. Instead of getting another aqualifter pump for it, I just shut it off thinking it will encourage me to get a reef ready tank. Well, I still wasn't doing water changes, and I wasn't skimming since the skimmer was in the sump, and I wasn't topping off the water regularly enough, so finally my torch coral started dying off, which made me think that I should do something about it sooner than later.

So I threw everything into my 125 which had 9 month old water in it with all sorts of dead creatures from way-back-when (I was in the middle of selling it piece by piece), of course I topped it off with new salt water first. A couple days after I moved the coral, I transferred the carpet anemone into the big tank. A couple days later I took the sand bed out of the "old" tank, rinsed it out and put it in the tank, stirring up a big mess.

Well, all of the above really happened, although none of it was intended by me (especially not the foot-tearing part, which I had nothing to do with), but I must say this anemone has lived and prospered despite my efforts, not because of them. God has definitely helped me out with this one.

Really, I think any decent reefer could easily keep one of these anemones, but getting a healthy one to start with is an issue. Mine I bought at a store, but it had been traded in by another fellow aquarist so it had been in captivity for a while before I got it. It has been with me coming up on two years now. It is definitely my favorite pet and I hope to keep it healthy and happy and pass it on to my kids when I am too old to care for it. Having learned a lot from my previous mistakes, and having a much better set up now than I ever did, I think it is realistic :)

I'll tell you how I take care of the carpet (just don't throw rocks at me afterwards).

First, I made sure the store owner who sold it to me tore the living daylights out of its foot. Then I drove home, which took 2 hours in traffic. Then I stuck it in a 10 gallon tank with a 13 watt NO light for a couple of weeks.

Then I stuck it into a newly set up tank, with "cycled" live rock but everything else brand new. Then I left the country for a couple of weeks. Then I neglected to see that the tank temperature dropped to 64 degrees with no light, flow or anything, and that lasted about a week. Then I let things die off in the tank without doing water changes or anything.

A while later, when I had good lighting, a heater, circulation etc, I dropped a cup full of salt directly onto the anemone which was located on top of all the live rock. Burnt the heck out of it. As soon as it recovered and moved "downstairs" into the sand, I decided to rearrange my live rock and dropped a large galaxia (upside down) onto my anemone. Of course it sat like that for a few minutes before I noticed anything. Burnt again (both the nem and the galaxia).

When things got back to normal, my HOB overflow decided to malfunction and flooded the house. Instead of getting another aqualifter pump for it, I just shut it off thinking it will encourage me to get a reef ready tank. Well, I still wasn't doing water changes, and I wasn't skimming since the skimmer was in the sump, and I wasn't topping off the water regularly enough, so finally my torch coral started dying off, which made me think that I should do something about it sooner than later.

So I threw everything into my 125 which had 9 month old water in it with all sorts of dead creatures from way-back-when (I was in the middle of selling it piece by piece), of course I topped it off with new salt water first. A couple days after I moved the coral, I transferred the carpet anemone into the big tank. A couple days later I took the sand bed out of the "old" tank, rinsed it out and put it in the tank, stirring up a big mess.

Well, all of the above really happened, although none of it was intended by me (especially not the foot-tearing part, which I had nothing to do with), but I must say this anemone has lived and prospered despite my efforts, not because of them. God has definitely helped me out with this one.

Really, I think any decent reefer could easily keep one of these anemones, but getting a healthy one to start with is an issue. Mine I bought at a store, but it had been traded in by another fellow aquarist so it had been in captivity for a while before I got it. It has been with me coming up on two years now. It is definitely my favorite pet and I hope to keep it healthy and happy and pass it on to my kids when I am too old to care for it. Having learned a lot from my previous mistakes, and having a much better set up now than I ever did, I think it is realistic :)

Wow. Just. . .Wow. I think it's safe to say this is a hardy specimen. :D Loved the story. Very entertaining.

Toby, those are very nice. I love the juicy green color! Is the last one a beadlet or waratah anemone by any chance? Where did you get it?

aquarookie..have you ever had any luck with ricordea mushrooms? And how big do they get?

FraggleRock, after reading my carpet torture story, you are actually asking ME about ricordea? Ha ha ha. Yes, I have had luck with them as well, and I will write my 2 cents worth in your fragging thread :)

looks like cookie monster might be coming for u next !!!!!unless u keep the tank thing up l.o.l.ohh and give him a cookie !

Back