show us your diy stands

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ryan30nb

new to site and hobby would like some ideas on stands starting a 180 build and need ideas thanks:?:

check out our 50g thread or mini-reef blog. i believe links to the diy stand specs can be found somewhere in our blog.

Here is mine:
DSC01970-65K.JPG

DSC_0382-82K.JPG

See pics from the build here

Yea it is nice to have a (workbench/built in scaffolding to stand on , cause i'm sawwed off LOL/)bar to chill at..
I love it..

My stand built to take a 240 with a 120 currently on it. I built this to not have any center supports, and be salt water proof on the out side. hence making it ez clean up.

IMG_1590.jpg
[/IMG]

STEEL!!!
IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1597.jpg

IMG_1600.jpg

GARF Stand

I plan on building a GARF stand soon located here. I like the the idea of being able to access all sides of the bottom equipment. It has a removable facade and covers the lower trim and sand layer of a glass tank. I don't like the looks of the top hood in the picture though.

I plan on building the lower frame out of something other than complete plywood because their design looks very wasteful, but I have not decided yet. NaTe R's stand design looks like a good design for a larger tank frame. I have a 29 gallon so don't need that much stoutness. For the facade, I think I will use birch plywood and regular hardwood molding then stain and seal using the water base type brands. I have used the water base brands before and think they look great with no or low odor and clean up easy. You could always use MDF trim with AC plywood and paint it too.

If doors are a problem for you, Lowes and HomeDepot both have put-together-yourself kitchen cabinets and often sell doors separately in many different styles and sizes.

Last edited:
I haven't put trim on my 180 stand yet. It is 4x4 2x4 2x6 construction and sheathed in 3/4" oak plywood.

Back