Shrimp in danger living with Anemones?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Poorbob2000

Howdy,

I was wondering if Cleaner and Fire shrimp are in danger around anemones? I have a variety of anemones and have not lost any shrimp but was wondering if live shrimp and anemones are compatible?

I also hear of Mantis Shrimp being bad but do people actually like them in their aquarium? Are they friendly with other shrimp or what are their downsides??

Sorry for all of the questions...Have a Happy New Year everyone!!

Bob

I've heard of people keeping mantis shrimps, but I'll never get any(LOL) They say a hit from one of them is like a bullet! But, people keep them without any problems. I've had an anemone in my old saltwater setup and had a 2 coral bandit shrimps (male and female) and a cleaner shrimp. Never had a problem with them being caught by the anemone and they did fine. I guess it's a chance you'll have to take if you want both. I figure if the shrimp gets too close to the anemone and rubs up against it, he will definately eat him. Hopefully shrimps are smarter than that:)

Happy New Year Bob;)

here's a little of my opininon dood.
if you wanna Mantis shrimp, they are kewl as long as you don't have them in your reef tank because pretty soon he could eat all your fish and what not, bad for the tank, good in their own little tank :) .
Right now i'm going through the same with my cleaner shrimp, so don't worry about it, i believe it's normal :) .

Hey Bob, My 2 cleaner shrimp hang out close to my RBTAs, I think the use them for protection.....

Mantis shrimp are bad ideas, they eat snails shrimp fish and in the fish store my dad goes to they have a sighn that says mantis shrimp eat fish, shrimp and peoples fingers. also they are perfect for a small specimen tank but other than that stay away from them.dont let them wack you it hurts.they are strong enough to snap your fingers crack your rock and break the glass so just stay away from them.
Zack

Last edited:
Back