Sicce 2500 Stopped Working

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Yea I plan on taking it with me I just live in the middle of no where so just wanted to make sure they will have the correct diameter. sounds like Hobby Town USA will have what I need in a 28" stick for like $6.99. I'm just going to run this pump with the new impeller shaft and just buy a new one when it craps out all the way.

Thanks everyone for all the help!

If you don't find a replacement, let me know. I have a spare ceramic shaft I could loan/give whatever.

If you don't find a replacement, let me know. I have a spare ceramic shaft I could loan/give whatever.

Thanks for the offer that's very generous of you but if they don't warranty it I guess I will have to buy a new one. I bought the carbon fiber rod today but the stupid thing still wont work.

I had trouble using a carbon fiber replacement shaft. But I just figured it was just me.
PM me your address, I'll drop one in the mail today.

Sorry to here the carbon rod didn’t help. Sounds like it could be a bad magnet then like they were saying. Do you here it banging like its trying to start or just nothing at all?

so a few things;
when using a carbon fiber rod, it has to be identical in length and diameter to the ceramic shaft,

the real trick to getting problem sicce pumps started is doing it with your finger,
it's the fastest way to start a sicce that is having start up issues.
So just stick your finger in the pump outlet and gently push the impeller in the clockwise direction,
I do this all the time, it wont eat your finger. (well, probably wont, be careful!... :) )
also, bringing the pump to the surface of the water so you can submerge and lift out while blowing
down the airline is another good trick.
sicce pumps are a pain to start up, but after that, just leave them running!!!
the skimmer i have has probably been turned off only 2 times in the last year for cleaning, thats it....

also, why mess with this crap??
well, if your a sissy who doesnt want to get your hands wet, then this pump isnt for you... ;)
but if you dont mind a little tinkering, you get incredible performance for minor power consumtion.
I still love the sicce psk 2500 pump because of this, and it wouldnt bug me to give my skimmer a little extra
attention if the power goes out or I am cleaning the skimmer to get it started... but that's me.
the way i look at it, if the power goes out, your head should be "under the hood" of your tank anyway...
it's all in how you look at it, and whats important to you in the end I guess.

why mess with this crap??
well, if your a sissy who doesnt want to get your hands wet, then this pump isnt for you... ;)
but if you dont mind a little tinkering, you get incredible performance for minor power consumtion.
I still love the sicce psk 2500 pump because of this, and it wouldnt bug me to give my skimmer a little extra
attention if the power goes out or I am cleaning the skimmer to get it started... but that's me.
the way i look at it, if the power goes out, your head should be "under the hood" of your tank anyway...
it's all in how you look at it, and whats important to you in the end I guess.

I am a fiddler and DIYer who's hands are almost always wet. So what! Any pump that often needs to be modified or coddled is a bad pump...

It is more than turning them off: power outages, water level changes in the sump, even bumping the pump has gotten one of mine to quit. I have changed impellers to no avail. White, red, mesh, the works. When the soft magnet gets weak after a year or two, will be problematic. I have one on my shelf, will probably never use it nor any Sicce again. Love my bubble blaster as much as I hate Sicce pumps. Not worth the stress nor the time...

I am a fiddler and DIYer who's hands are almost always wet. So what! Any pump that often needs to be modified or coddled is a bad pump...

It is more than turning them off: power outages, water level changes in the sump, even bumping the pump has gotten one of mine to quit. I have changed impellers to no avail. White, red, mesh, the works. When the soft magnet gets weak after a year or two, will be problematic. I have one on my shelf, will probably never use it nor any Sicce again. Love my bubble blaster as much as I hate Sicce pumps. Not worth the stress nor the time...

so replace your year old magnet! ...lol
if you have a turbo on your engine, your going to replace that bish every 50,000 no matter what...
you pay for the extra performance... and yes, your going to have to cottle it along, and pay more attention/cash sometimes...

and on the flip side of the coin how you feel about sicce,
theres no way you'd get me to spend money on a bubble blaster pump considering honya shenizen makes it,
and octopus has some of the worst CS in the industry... i dont care how it performs...
especially when you can get a modded askoll/ab5000/eden skimmer pump for just a little more...
but thats just me...

Well I have been talking to Luke from Reeffiltrations and he said to try a magnet from a quiet-one 2200 it's the same magnet and I bought one for $20 shipped. So when that gets here I'll let you guys know. He also said he hasn't really seen the pump body go bad so he thinks it will be fine. He also has had the best customer service of everyone that I have tried to talk to (besides everyone here ;) ) inlcuding where I bought it from and Sicce the company that made the pump so I'll be buying my next skimmer from him that's for sure.

Brian

Last edited:
the pump body should be fine, it works on magnetic fields. There is no actual contact with the body and the impeller. But if there are deep or raised scraches I would try to sand them down, just so the water can move more fluently.

the pump body should be fine, it works on magnetic fields. There is no actual contact with the body and the impeller. But if there are deep or raised scraches I would try to sand them down, just so the water can move more fluently.

Thanks Goatman that makes me feel better I didn't really know that.

FWIW-I found the same problem with my BM250. I took it apart to put the new white lightning pinwheel in it and found one of the shafts snapped in three places. I got online and found the carbon fiber ones at avast marine for like $5.00 each. So I bought a few just in case. They have been working great. I kind of just skimmed thru the thread so I dont know if you already fixed your problem but hopefully this will help if not! By the way the white lightning pinwheel is awesome!

FWIW-I found the same problem with my BM250. I took it apart to put the new white lightning pinwheel in it and found one of the shafts snapped in three places. I got online and found the carbon fiber ones at avast marine for like $5.00 each. So I bought a few just in case. They have been working great. I kind of just skimmed thru the thread so I dont know if you already fixed your problem but hopefully this will help if not! By the way the white lightning pinwheel is awesome!

So the carbon fiber shafts you got were they exactly the same size or were they slightly smaller? I got .125" carbon fiber rod and it's slightly smaller but I found someone else on another forum that told someone else to use the same size I bought so I was just wondering if it's the closest size available. Also is what is the difference in the white lightning pinwheel and the black pinwheel?

To be honest with you I didnt measure them. I just put them in and they worked great. I would contact avast marine and ask them if you are really worried about it though. I would really hate to tell you something and have the part be wrong for your application. I did use it on my Sicce 2500's but who knows about what size they put in what year or if that even matters. I havent heard anything about the black pinwheel so I cant really speak to that. I know that my white lightning pinwheel gives me chunks of nasty green goo....HTH...

To be honest with you I didnt measure them. I just put them in and they worked great. I would contact avast marine and ask them if you are really worried about it though. I would really hate to tell you something and have the part be wrong for your application. I did use it on my Sicce 2500's but who knows about what size they put in what year or if that even matters. I havent heard anything about the black pinwheel so I cant really speak to that. I know that my white lightning pinwheel gives me chunks of nasty green goo....HTH...

Thanks for your help!

Back