Sicce pump test results

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

luke33

Hello, just wanted to drop the results I got from the different pw's i've tested on a sicce pump.

I'm using your average sicce pump you get with a msx/swc extreme skimmer. I used a swc reducer for this test. I also plugged and unplugged the pump 5x's or so to make sure the pw was running the right way.

I got to test the swc, coralvue, atb small and large pw. Only one I don't have is a WM pw. Not sure how to get ahold of one as they don't seem to be for sale.

The #'s are from using a rmb 0-100scfh air meter which will NOT restrict the flow and from your standard killawatt.

Coralvue- 15-17scfh at 19w with no startup issues
ATB Small- 20-22scfh at 19w with no startup issues
SWC- 28-30scfh at 21w with no startup issues
ATB Large- 36-37scfh at 22w but is having startup issues.

Hopefully the atb startup issues go away. Its only been running a day so hopefully after it breaks in it will start up every time. I also hope to get 38scfh out of it as i hear they pull a few more after a week or so of use. Very impressed with the purple PW. If anyone has a WM pw that they are willing to spare for a few let me know.
Thanks,

Luke

Does this mean I can get an ATB PW for my BM 250, get rid of the mesh mod and no longer have start up issues provided that it breaks in?

I believe so : ) The pw's will pry pull less air on that 10" diameter than mine though. I'm going to say 32-34scfh hooked up. And like you said....if they start up on there own after break in.

Jon did email me about the wm pw. They are using the cnc marine supply pw's so i'm sure you'll get around 30scfh hooked up as i have some of those i've used as well. He did say he has a sicce pw volute combo that is pulling over 40scfh hooked up. Now that i want to see : ()

Bust out the good beer as we have a breakthrough :idea:

I have been messing with this skimmer for the last three days, building stands, trying new reducers......etc. All the #'s above were in 8" water. I then tried 6" to see if the air pull went up. It went down a bit and became sparadic. I was then changing out stands and said, wt hell, lets see what it does at 10". SWC reducer, large atb pw, 10" water.......23w..........pf .48 and air...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................suspense

40scfh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOHOOO! I'm stoked!

I think startup is due to the pw being made of a hard material heavier than the normal pw. We'll see what happens with startup. I'll give it a week or two then test the startup.

Back